LWJGL 0.9 released!

Started by Matzon, April 13, 2004, 20:30:03

Previous topic - Next topic

elias

extgl.cpp/h has been in need for cleanup for a long time. Go ahead and clean it up if you want. I'm not so sure you can delete (empty) directories in CVS though...

- elias

CaptainJester

cvs -H release
Usage: cvs release [-d [-f]] [-e] directories...
       -d      Delete the given directory.
       -f      Delete contents of directories including non-cvs files.
       -e      Delete CVS control files in the given directory (export).
(Specify the --help global option for a list of other help options)

Here's the command.
The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)

elias

No, the release command only works on your working directory, not on the repository. Its pupose is to 'undo' a checkout command so that the central CVS server knows that you've abandoned it (although most people just delete their working directory.

- elias

Matzon

The useless folders will probably stay, since cvs keeps a history on that - they don't show up, if you prune empty directories anyway. We could do a service request from SF to remove those directories - but they will come again, in one form or another.

cfmdobbie

Empty directories are still very much part of the history, so they cannot be removed.  However, as Matzon says, check out with the "prune" option and you'll never see them.

The only "proper" way of getting rid of them is checking the whole codebase in to a new repository, i.e. dropping all the history and starting anew.
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

CaptainJester

With the way CVS handles it's storage mechanisms, if you can get access to the server side, you can just delete the directory and to CVS it will be like it was never there.  I have already done this successfully on my CVS at work.  We are using CVSNT.  I don't know if that makes a difference, but it shouldn't.
The problems of this world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities.  We need men and women who can dream of things that never were. - John Fitzgerald Kennedy(35th US President)
8)

elias

Quote from: "CaptainJester"With the way CVS handles it's storage mechanisms, if you can get access to the server side, you can just delete the directory and to CVS it will be like it was never there.  I have already done this successfully on my CVS at work.  We are using CVSNT.  I don't know if that makes a difference, but it shouldn't.

Yep, that's what we do internally to the TT cvs tree (up until a few days ago, actually, since we switched to subversion that can handle directories just fine). However, sourceforge doesn't give direct access to the CVS repository, so we have to bug an admin every time we need to delete directories. So at some point in time, we'll probably batch up all the bad directories and submit it to them.

- elias

cfmdobbie

Quote from: "CaptainJester"With the way CVS handles it's storage mechanisms, if you can get access to the server side, you can just delete the directory and to CVS it will be like it was never there.  I have already done this successfully on my CVS at work.  We are using CVSNT.  I don't know if that makes a difference, but it shouldn't.

And if you do do that, you lose all history that that directory represented.  Previous checkouts may no longer be complete, files that used to exist just cease to be.  Not good, from a version-control perspective! ;)

As I say, with CVS the only proper solution is a repository rebuild.  It's just one of the very well-known limitations of CVS.  However, with prune turned on you'll never see these directories anyway, so why bother?
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.