Skeletal Animation

Started by TechNick6425, August 28, 2013, 22:42:26

Previous topic - Next topic

TechNick6425

I want to make a game, but I want to have skeletal animation. I am pretty new to OpenGL, I'm just drawing voxels. I'm just wondering how or what I would need to do this. Can anyone point me in the direction of any good tutorials?

poo2thegeek

All you need to do is make an array of textures to draw.
I find the best thing to do is make some type of class called "Image" which just has a draw() method in it (for ease of use). Then make an Animation class that just switches between the images after a set delay.

quew8

Skeletal animation is a pretty advanced feature. Do not jump from drawing a few voxels to skeletal animation. Don't take this the wrong way, but you won't succeed. First you must have a good knowledge of basic rendering in modern OpenGL, by this I mean VBOs (which aren't actually necessary but basics first), matrix transforms and the like.

If this is this the case, then you will need a thorough understanding of shaders. The best tutorials IMO specifically for shaders are here: http://www.lighthouse3d.com/. They're in the tutorials / GLSL tab. Also I notice there is a picking tutorial under the OpenGL tab which I think you were asking about in another thread. Haven't looked at it before but might be worth a look if you're still wondering.

Edit: Corrected grammar. Silly, silly me.