2D scrolling game

Started by kululu, July 17, 2013, 13:50:51

Previous topic - Next topic

kululu

Hry my name is Roy and I want to develop a 2d scrolling game like wonderking 1/2 and maplestory now I have an experience with java from school (not too much) right now Im a high school student and in 2 years thats what I learn'd in school :
-if else statements
-for, for each, do while, while loops
- recursion
- building methods
-they taught us also how to use data structures like queue, stack, list, nodes, bin tree node
- creating classes and work with them (inherit classes, classes that implements interfaces, abstract classes)
-also we kind of used the graphics classes that are build in java and we made some programs using them

the hardest thing we ever made so far is this : a program with 2 buttons 1 creates a random shape (triangle, circle, rectangle) with a random colour and a random size and the other delete the last made shape (undo button)

now I know thats not to much compared to what some of you know but thats what my school taught us in 2 years..
so I want to start making a 2D scorlling game like the games I mentioned and I saw that people use LWJGL class to make their java games
so I have few questions :
- is it possible to make games like wonderking and maplestory with java and LWJGL ?
- I know my knowledge in java isnt that great but I really want to make a game like this and I wont learn it in school so I dont know where should I start and what should I do first ? (based on my knowledge so far)
- do you think a student like me can create such game ? I also intend to make this game MMORPG and I have no idea how to deal with the "MMO" part meaning I have no idea how to make an online game

Sorry for my bad english I hope you'll answer me and thanks in advance !

Cornix

Hi Roy,

of course Java is perfectly capable for such a task and lwjgl is extremely powerful since it allows you to use all features of OpenGL. There are a few notable games written in Java which also happen to use lwjgl, like Minecraft for example.

However, working with opengl is pretty hard for people who are relatively new to programming. There is no way for you to just jump into things and see them work. If you are very good at learning these things it will probably still take about a year to completely understand the various facets of opengl programming. And if you havent worked on any bigger project yet (talking about several ten thousand lines of code) then making a complete game by yourself will become a tremendous task.
Of course, if you take your time, about 2 to 4 years, and really put yourself into this then you have a good chance of making a game of your own.

I would advice you to read up on several tutorials about game programming and working with opengl.

Another possibility would be to use the Slick2D library. You could google slick2D and see if this can make things easier for you.

kululu

Quote from: Cornix on July 17, 2013, 15:14:12
Hi Roy,

of course Java is perfectly capable for such a task and lwjgl is extremely powerful since it allows you to use all features of OpenGL. There are a few notable games written in Java which also happen to use lwjgl, like Minecraft for example.

However, working with opengl is pretty hard for people who are relatively new to programming. There is no way for you to just jump into things and see them work. If you are very good at learning these things it will probably still take about a year to completely understand the various facets of opengl programming. And if you havent worked on any bigger project yet (talking about several ten thousand lines of code) then making a complete game by yourself will become a tremendous task.
Of course, if you take your time, about 2 to 4 years, and really put yourself into this then you have a good chance of making a game of your own.

I would advice you to read up on several tutorials about game programming and working with opengl.

Another possibility would be to use the Slick2D library. You could google slick2D and see if this can make things easier for you.
Thanks for the respond Cornix ! :)
Could you link me to good game programming tutorials for my level ?

Amrein

Hi Roy,

I'm in my first year at Saint Paul College (I chose Web Based 2D Game Development course). I thought about JOGL or LWJGL for writing an OpenGL program in Java. My final project should be a 2D scrolling game, so I thought I could ask someone who already tried to do the same before. Any helpful guides? Thanks.

Patrick
Animation frameworks: PulpCore and others reviewed by  Cameron McKay registered user at customwritingcompany

KaiHH

It's a bit unclear what you are asking for or what exactly it is you need help with. Currently all you provide is that you want to build a "2D scrolling game" (do you mean a 2D side scroller?). So, want exactly is your problem there?