Skeletal animation

Started by rainforest, April 16, 2007, 22:32:03

Previous topic - Next topic

rainforest

Ive been away for a while from the LWJGL forum *just completed my MSc* :), I apologize if this topic is a duplicate of another.

I was wondering if there is any LWJGL based example code/tutorial for 3D skeletal/keyframe animation (md2 or 3DS) posted in the forum.

Before searching the whole net for any helpful example, I decided to try the most prominent and dedicated members of the LWJGL development forum. Wish me luck!
.:: A journey of thousand miles starts with a single step ::.

bobjob

there are some good tutorials for skeletons on the net, if you want source code for a lwjgl version.

here is a skeleton i made.
http://users.on.net/~bobjob/skeleton.zip

i havnt uploaded the source so if you would like a copy please tell me.

rainforest

All I see in the demo is a guy holding a 'machine' gun or whatever and standing in a dark arena (scary) with a plane as a helmet on top of his head!
Wonderful skeleton, but I was wondering if I had missed the animation part in the demo?

bobjob

lol, yeah, i used to have a link for it on the site which explained the controls.
'g' is animate walk, and 'h' is stop.
think its w a s d  for moving around, and f1 screen change

rainforest

Now it make sense and it looks pretty cool :)
Can I please have a copy of the source?

bobjob

cool ill zip it now, and send u the link

rainforest

Thank u very much for the link Bob, I appreciate your help. I think u ve done a great job in the skeleton demo.

bobjob

i was sent another request for the skeleton so im gonna post the link here

i was hesitant to put the link in the forum, cuz my code is reallllllly sloppy (i know alot of ppl say that but im serious)

app and resources
http://users.on.net/~bobjob/skeleton.zip

source
http://users.on.net/~bobjob/skeletonSource.zip

good luck making sense of it :)

workdesk03

Hi Friends,
I found a this discussion and i too need a skeleton animation example.

Source and resources shared by Bob are no longer available.Please provide me a sources if anyone has it.

Thanks in Advance

bobjob

cool, iv re-uploaded the stuff.

zadboy

Hey I doubt anyone is going to see this seeing as I am replying almost a decade later, but, if someone could re-post bob's source code so i could take a look at an example of skeletal animation with LWGJL that would be amazing. I've been searching for awhile for anything I can find on this topic but my expeditions have no proved very fruitful. Anyway glad to be a part of the community!

bobjob

Weird, I only recently got back into using LWJGL. Didnt expect to see this thread open.

Sorry zadboy, I dont have a copy of this anymore. from memory it was very easy stuff. It used OpenGL 1.1 fixed function pipeline.

All the bones joints, bone offset value, and visual model reference where preset in a text file.

it UN translated the first bones offset (probably 0 for the first bone)
it rotated the current bones rotation (gl rotation)
It rendered the first bone (the torso model)
then looped through the number of joints that the model had (5 in the case of a torso, head, arm...)
in the loop..
translated to the joints position (gl translate)

rendered the bone...
each time the call to render the bone it would repeat the same process which would loop through all of the bones connected joints.
UN translated the next bones offset to where the next bone connected to the previous bone (gl translate)
rotated the bones current rotations (gl rotate)
draw model
start loop

bobjob

Oh, I think I know why this thread has been brought back to life. I recently cleaned out my web server to make space for my more recent stuff. I must have deleted this skeleton example. Didn't realize people where actually still looking at it. Seems that you cant find simple LWJGL skeleton animation examples on the net. Ill have a look around, maybe I have a copy backed up somewhere