Hello Guest

[RFE] LWJGL 3.0

• 344 Replies

Offline bobbo

Re: [RFE] LWJGL 3.0
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 06:41:47 »
Thank you spasi for the Javadocs! This makes it much easier for those of us who aren't greatly familiar with GL. Is it from https://anonymous:anonymous@cvs.khronos.org/svn/repos/ogl/trunk/ecosystem/public/sdk/docs/man4/xhtml/? I was looking into a conversion process for this but it is above my abilities.

Also, I would like to suggest/request/beg that Applet support not be dropped. Browser support, even with an older technology (Isn't it a new implementation with JavaFX?) is very important, Java has almost as much market share as Flash and the technology is superior IMO. I feel this is one of the stronger points of LWJGL.

That JavaFX application is awesome, by the way!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 08:04:06 by bobbo »

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 13:27:27 »
Most of it is from the official OpenGL spec. I'm using a few bits and pieces from the khronos man pages where it makes sense, but it tends to be too verbose for javadoc and it also covers the Core profile functions only. In a newer build I'm auto-generating a link to the xml files for the core functions, you can click on it from inside the IDE to open a browser and read the full documentation. For deprecated functions I'm also generating a warning: This function is deprecated and unavailable in the Core profile. For extensions, I've added a url to the extension spec on the class javadoc.

Offline jakj

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 13:33:24 »
Don't forget that some of us don't use IDEs. :P All I mean is, while it's fine for the information/notation to be optimized for IDE use, it should still be parseable by a human being at need.

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 13:52:52 »
Well it's just javadoc, so it's as human readable as javadoc can get. Here's a preview of GL11 in 3.0.

Offline jakj

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 14:03:12 »
Here's a preview of GL11 in 3.0.

That looks great. I'm excited for 3.0.

Offline quew8

• Because Square Eyes Look More Real
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2012, 14:02:13 »
I second that. I would settle for the javadocs alone, they will make this immensely more enjoyable, but with everything else rolling out in 3.0: wow. Thankyou so much for this.

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2013, 02:38:44 »
I have two features I'd like to suggest. Not sure how difficult or feasible they would be to implement in the new display API.

1. No flickering on resize. This would make LWJGL games and especially apps (like Spine) a little more polished.

2. Basic drag and drop support. Especially files. Dragging and dropping files is IMHO a hundred times easier than dealing with file choosers -- especially if you have to use a file chooser like JFileChooser (eugh...) or TWL's. As LWJGL becomes a more popular choice for software apps (like Spine, 3D model viewers, etc), drag and drop seems appropriate.

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 00:54:39 »
3.0 does look promising indeed.

I'm especially looking forward to the integration with JavaFX (or any other windowing system with the help of offscreen rendering)
I started a thread about it on JGO with gouessej (JOGL)
http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/jogl-in-javafx/26881/view.html

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2013, 09:37:42 »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:50:02 by datSilencer »

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2013, 15:18:46 »
Progress update:

- LWJGL 3.0 now supports AL and CL in addition to GL. The first two are basically done, but we still need to add the OpenGL extensions we support in 2.x. There will be some filtering (obsolete extensions, etc), but it still is loads of work, especially documenting everything. Contributions on this would be very welcome! At the very least we'll need all ARB extensions and the latest EXT, AMD and NV ones. We can add more as needed after 3.0 is released.

- Support for the first windowing back-end is in, which is GLFW. It has most of the features we require, but it's also a work-in-progress (GLFW 3.0 is a rewrite, like LWJGL 3.0). Please consider anything related to the windowing system experimental. We might end-up dropping it if we find a better alternative.

The screenshot below shows one of the demos in the LWJGL 3.0 repo. It highlights one of the most important features in 3.0: multiple, resizable windows. Each window has its own OpenGL context. Both fractals are being rendered with OpenCL, the first on the GPU and the second on the CPU.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 23:55:33 by spasi »

Offline Krux

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2013, 01:56:24 »
Great information here. I am really looking forward to javaFx, (and already postet there, before I knew that you are from the LWJGL team). Also do I like the idea of a GLCore class.

Edit:
Finally I did try to download and compile LWJGL 3.0, but it did not compile. At first It took more than a minute to Generate and at some time I always ended in an out of memory exception. Can't explain why 4GB should be ok?

Then most interesting I think is that LWJGL uses Kotlin internally. So as a Scala developer I am interested weather Kotlin has great benefits compared to Scala. From what I've seen so far Kotlin is very close to Scala, but not so functional as Scala. But all my experience come from examples from the internet.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:04:13 by Krux »

Offline Cornix

« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2013, 18:57:41 »
This sounds great! I am looking forward to this soo much. Thank you guys for your awesome work.

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2013, 00:14:57 »
LWJGL 3 now has a dedicated Wiki.

It is not complete, but it has important information that I felt should readily be available to potential users and contributors. Please let me know if you'd like anything fixed, if something requires better explanation or if I've missed an important aspect of the project that deserves to be documented.

Recent changes:

• OS X is now supported.
  • Updated GLFW to v3.0.3.
  • Added JavaDoc generation.
  • Added libffi bindings.
  • The required minimum JDK version is now 7.
  • Many fixes and improvements to code generation & documentation.

The wiki now has a long to-do list, so there's plenty more work to be done. The current plan is to wait for GLFW 3.0.4 (contains many important fixes) and then we'll release an alpha build for all platforms. If you'd like to try it out sooner, feel free to clone the project and build manually, I've tried to make it as easy as possible. If you encounter any issues, please do let me know.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 00:18:58 by spasi »

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2013, 11:51:54 »
Just curious, will the wiki be transcribed to the actual wiki? Or do you intend to stick with the Github Wiki?

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2013, 13:05:05 »
Any information related to the development, especially important details useful to contributors, will likely stay on Github. Everything else could be copied/moved to the official wiki.