Beginner question: Using vbos with vertexHandle/normalHandle causes trouble

Started by Abe_No_I, August 15, 2012, 09:20:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Abe_No_I

Hallo all,
perhaps you can help me, I got the following problem.

I am loading a 3d model within java by parsing an *.obj file which was created by exporting it out of Blender. So far so good the import is working.
I am storing all vertices and normals coordinates in an 2 ArrayLists<Vector3f>. Thats working.

I am getting into trouble when importing 2 or 3 different models, because glgenBuffers() is returning values 1 and 2 when creating vbo_vertexHandle and vbo_normalHandle for the first object, 3 and 4 for the 2nd object and 5 and 6 for the 3rd object. Do I hav to have ONE global vertexHandle (all vertices of all 3 models) and ONE global normalHandle (all normal indices of all 3 objects) -> so I only have to work with Handles 1 and 2, or may I as I supposed store the vertexHandle and normalHandle for each object within the 3dmodel instance (1 and 2 for obj01, 2 and 3 for obj02...) and using them dependingly on WHICH model I want to render?

Do anyone perhaps know a good src to learn how to deal with 2 or more different 3dobjects ( in java I mean real instances not only drawing  2 quads ;) )?

Thank you for the possible answer.
regards Alexander

Fool Running

Quote from: Abe_No_I on August 15, 2012, 09:20:11
... or may I as I supposed store the vertexHandle and normalHandle for each object within the 3dmodel instance (1 and 2 for obj01, 2 and 3 for obj02...) and using them dependingly on WHICH model I want to render?

Yes, you have to remember which buffer values go with which objects so you can use those buffers when rendering each object. The numbers are kind of like an ID to the object stored in OpenGL.
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D