Hello Guest

[FIXED] OSX / Java 7

• 247 Replies

Offline kappa

Re: [RFE] OSX / Java 7
« Reply #240 on: April 20, 2013, 23:18:54 »
Turns out the above is actually a Mac Java 7 bug http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7172187
Suggested fix is to use Java 8 ???
Thanks for having a look! I have been trying different versions of java, see if I can work around the problem ^_^
I've implemented a fix to workaround the Java 7 bug, so should work now.

Do test the next nightly build and report any issues that you may have.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 23:50:25 by kappa »

Re: [FIXED] OSX / Java 7
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2013, 11:52:05 »
Tested your latest build with the latest jMonkeyEngine nightly and Java 7u21 on OS X 10.8.3 and everything works fantastically now. Thanks a lot for your efforts!

« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2013, 15:05:42 »
Hello

Thanks for fixing it for OSX. I tried out the nightly build and i think it works more or less. Is it correct that the java.awt.Canvas is the fastest "Display" component which allows swing integration? Because maximum FPS is like 20 which isn't enough to display a video in a modern way.Can you give me any hints how i can increase performance? I already tried using a JavaFX/swing combination the result isn't as bad but still not as super fast as OpenGL used to be :) The same machine was able to play FullHD MP4 video with 50 fps in fullscreen with JOGL1 and Java6 (on OSX 10.7 using swing).

Thanks for your help and great work!

Regards,
Martin

Offline kappa

« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2013, 16:33:18 »
@norman thank for the report will have a look to see if I can reproduce and hopefully get a fix up.

@schwaller, unfortunately due to the changes made by Apple/Oracle to AWT/Swing (moving from NSView to CALayer embedding and removing NSView option altogether) its no longer technically possible to get the speeds with OpenGL we previously enjoyed with JOGL and LWJGL (2.8.5 and lower). This is because content needs to be drawn at least twice due to the way CALayers work. JavaFX is likely to run into the same issue when using a third party OpenGL binding. The fastest OpenGL option would be to use the native Display window instead, you could use one of the a feature rich OpenGL GUI systems like TWL or Nifty to replace the AWT/Swing bits (impressively Eclipse has been ported to run on TWL! which shows how capable and mature the library can be). If you still want to go for AWT/Swing for the gui you could try the separate window option where you have separate controls window (AWT/Swing) and a separate native Display window for the video rendering (like VLC media player).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 16:44:21 by kappa »

« Reply #244 on: April 25, 2013, 18:26:14 »
Thanks @Kappa,

I'm still undergoing deep testing with my bitty OpenGL app, but the initial display errors already reported seem to have been taken care of by your changes.

*cheers*

Offline bobbo

« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2013, 09:40:04 »
Eclipse has been ported to run on TWL!

Where did you see this? I want to see it! I am using TWL and it is fantastic (it needs a better homepage!)

I hope I make enough with a game to donate or contribute to the cause here, you are doing tremendous and fantastic work, it's really saving me and it matters a lot.

Offline kappa

« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2013, 10:50:56 »
Eclipse has been ported to run on TWL!
Where did you see this?
Its called Bling, a 3d development platform. Don't think there are any video's or screenshots available on its site yet (although the author has shared them on LWJGL's IRC and must say that it looks very impressive). It was shown of publicly at a EclipseCon talk, haven't been able to find a video for the talk but a quick google shows this blurry screenshot. I'm sure author will reveal further details once ready.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 11:31:05 by kappa »

Offline bobbo

« Reply #247 on: April 27, 2013, 11:44:18 »
Its called Bling, a 3d development platform.
Found a couple direct screenshots of it in this PDF after searching from your info: http://www.eclipsecon.org/2012/sites/eclipsecon.org.2012/files/modeledUI2012.pdf Very interesting thing.

Edit: 2.9.1 has zero problems for me, fantastic!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 22:28:06 by bobbo »