[FIXED] OSX / Java 7

Started by normen, August 14, 2012, 17:07:59

Previous topic - Next topic

kappa

thanks people for all the testing will try to fix as many of those as possible.

@ajr_1 yeh noticed the applet close button crash thing, its caused by a driver crash (and hence a system crash) will be fixing that urgently.

ajr_1

Just further to that last message, it looks like the applet is fully loaded, but it's just not displaying anything.  If I click the mouse, drag it about etc I get the debug feedback that I should be getting.  Could be the AWT display issues you were referring to before I guess.

kappa

I've also seen the applet issue, seems like some odd new behaviour with Java 7, if you resize the applet then it starts displaying. Will have to look into why it happens only with Java 7 and not Java 6.

3xp0n3nt

I just created an account to thank you guys for your hard work. I installed Java 7 on OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) using Pacifist. I also installed the latest nightly build of lwjgl-2.9.0-SNAPSHOT from the jenkins server. Since I'm using Maven, I manually copied over all of the dependencies and pom's to my local m2 repo, renaming them as appropriate. It's working great so far.

I'm also using NiftyGui, which seems unaffected by these changes.

Keep up the great work!

kappa

@Freezerburn unfortunately not been able to reproduce your issues, what would help is if you could make small single class test cases that reproduces them.

@ajr_1 the not displaying anything when using Display.setParent on Java 7 should be fixed now in the nightly builds. Still looking into the driver crash on close issue.

ajr_1

Hi kappa, that seems to be working now!  Once the crash issue is done and I've sorted my mouse issue then I should be good to go.  Thanks for all the hard work you've put in.

bobbo

princec

@kappa don't forget my offer of a gift :)

Cas :)

kappa

New update:

- Fixed OpenAL-Soft for 32bit macs and updated to latest OpenAL-Soft 1.15.1+ (which also addresses a few issues).  
- Implemented workaround to fix the setParent/AWTGLCanvas OS crash on exist. Turned out to actually be a nasty Nvidia driver bug, so likely can remove the workaround once Nvidia releases a fix.
- Fixed a crash that sometimes occurred when setting Display.setTitle().
- Fixed another Java 7 only crash with OSX/CALayer's when switching to/from fullscreen.
- Implemented cleaning up of Display.setParent/AWTGLCanvas resources on exit.
- Fix an AWTGLCanvas resize issue on Java 7.
- Fix no scroll wheel events when shift key is held down (thx to Grum for reporting).

Latest nightly builds can be found here:

http://ci.newdawnsoftware.com/job/LWJGL-git-dist/

We've reached a point where LWJGL 2.9.0 is now ready to go, so a release should follow shortly. I'm aware that there may be a few small niggles that remain but we'll get those in subsequent LWJGL 2.9.x releases, so do please keep testing and reporting. There are also plans to add support for HiDPI retina mode and OS X's new fullscreen api where fullscreen apps get their own 'space'.

Anyway special thanks to the LWJGL community, all the contributors and testers (you know who you are) that allowed us to get to this point.

DanDanger

Hello,

I have been reading about the problems with java 7 on the mac.
I recently tried to get our in house editor (which uses lwjgl) to run on a mac and have been having problems with the AWTGLCanvas.
The canvas always seems to draw in the bottom left of the main window and calling repaint() does not seem to update the canvas (see included screenshot).
We have been using this editor on the PC for years without any issues and only recently have I needed to get it working on a mac (dam artists!).
The editor requires java 1.7 features unfortunately so I have to get it working.
I am not sure if this is a bug with lwjgl or something that I am doing wrong on the mac side of things.
Any insights into what I might need to do to fix the canvas would be appreciated.

kappa

thx for reporting, will look into it tonight and see if I can reproduce it.

edit: I have been able to reproduce this problem, currently working on a fix.

kappa

Turns out the above is actually a Mac Java 7 bug http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7172187
Suggested fix is to use Java 8 ???

pizza2004

Your nightly builds link appears to be broken.  It doesn't work for me at all.

Endolf

Looks fine to me

*whistles innocently*

Endolf

DanDanger

Quote from: kappa on April 18, 2013, 22:47:42
Turns out the above is actually a Mac Java 7 bug http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=7172187
Suggested fix is to use Java 8 ???

Thanks for having a look! I have been trying different versions of java, see if I can work around the problem ^_^