gluUnproject Inaccurate

Started by fabian, August 01, 2012, 14:05:56

Previous topic - Next topic

fabian

This probably sound stupid, but:
I've previously used gl picking for a tile-based game, and this works perfectly, but now I am trying to get the 3d location of where a user clicked. I tried this:
IntBuffer viewport = BufferUtils.createIntBuffer(16);
            FloatBuffer modelview = BufferUtils.createFloatBuffer(16);
            FloatBuffer projection = BufferUtils.createFloatBuffer(16);
            FloatBuffer winZ = BufferUtils.createFloatBuffer(1);
            float winX, winY;
            FloatBuffer position = BufferUtils.createFloatBuffer(3);
            GL11.glGetFloat( GL11.GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelview );
            GL11.glGetFloat( GL11.GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projection );
            GL11.glGetInteger( GL11.GL_VIEWPORT, viewport );
            System.out.println("M X:"+Mouse.getX()+" Y:"+Mouse.getY());
            winX = (float)Mouse.getX(); winY = (float)viewport.get(3) - (float)Mouse.getY();
            GL11.glReadPixels((int)winX, (int)winY, 1, 1, GL11.GL_DEPTH_COMPONENT, GL11.GL_FLOAT, winZ);
            GLU.gluUnProject(winX, winY, winZ.get(0), modelview, projection, viewport, position);
            System.out.println("Position: "+position.get(0)+","+position.get(1)+","+position.get(2));
            cam.setX(position.get(0));
            cam.setY(position.get(1));
            cam.setZ(position.get(2));

However, This sends the camera ridiculously far away from where I actually clicked; It generally ends up floating above a tile, a few hundred away from where was actually clicked.

Can someone give me some help with this? It's probably easy, but I haven't done it before.

Mickelukas

My class works fine and looks like this, maybe it will help you figure it out :) I use a set z though instead of reading it out (because I can, and because it saves me from drawing the scene twice), so that part won't work in your case.

public final class Math3D {

private static FloatBuffer modelview = BufferUtils.createFloatBuffer(16); //The model view for caching

private static FloatBuffer projection = BufferUtils.createFloatBuffer(16); //The projection for caching

private static IntBuffer viewport = BufferUtils.createIntBuffer(16); //The view port for caching

private final static FloatBuffer tempBuffer = FloatBuffer.allocate(3); //A temporary buffer

private final static double[] tempVec = new double[3]; //A temporary double array

//Generate the private variables before calling the below functions that rely on them
    public static void generateArrays() {
        modelview.clear();
        projection.clear();
        viewport.clear();
        GL11.glGetFloat(GL11.GL_MODELVIEW_MATRIX, modelview);
        GL11.glGetFloat(GL11.GL_PROJECTION_MATRIX, projection);
        GL11.glGetInteger(GL11.GL_VIEWPORT, viewport);
    }

//Get the position inside the application from a passed position on the applet together with depth, realPos gets set to the return value
    public static void getPoint3DfromPoint2D(final Point2DInteger p, final double zPos, final Point3DFloat realPos) {
        if (p == null) {
            return;
        }
        //Get the coordinates at the far plane
        tempBuffer.clear();
        GLU.gluUnProject(p.getX(), p.getY(), 1f, modelview, projection, viewport, tempBuffer);
        //Get the vector that goes from the UnProject to the camera
        tempVec[0] = Camera.getX() - tempBuffer.get(0);
        tempVec[1] = Camera.getY() - tempBuffer.get(1);
        tempVec[2] = Camera.getZ() - tempBuffer.get(2);
        //Calculate X and Y based on a known Z
        tempBuffer.put(0, (float)((zPos - tempBuffer.get(2)) / tempVec[2] * tempVec[0] + tempBuffer.get(0)));
        tempBuffer.put(1, (float)((zPos - tempBuffer.get(2)) / tempVec[2] * tempVec[1] + tempBuffer.get(1)));
        tempBuffer.put(2, (float)zPos);
        realPos.setLocation(tempBuffer.get(0), tempBuffer.get(1), tempBuffer.get(2));
    }

fabian

Well, the tiles are based off a heightmap, so does that mean that I can get the z position? Or is that Y?
Edit: Aaah, Z = the distance from the camera / the depth?
Edit 2: Fixed it. It'd seem you need to render it with depth testing turned off, then do it. Also, I needed to limit the amount of clicks, but that was because I was moving the camera. Thanks for the help though Mick.
Edit 3: Or not, It worked 2ce and has broken...

I've found out it's to do with the cameras rotation, due to the camera simply transforming the entire scene.
I was working on a way to reverse the camera, so I devised this method to reverse the rotation after receiving the rotated coordinates:
    public static Point3f rotate(Point3f point, float pitch, float yaw, float roll) {
        Point3f newPoint = new Point3f(point.getX(), point.getY(), point.getZ());
        //PITCH
        newPoint.setZ((float)(((newPoint.getZ()*Math.cos(pitch))-(newPoint.getX()*Math.sin(pitch)))));
        newPoint.setX((float)((newPoint.getZ()*Math.sin(pitch))+(newPoint.getX()*Math.cos(pitch))));
        //YAW
        newPoint.setX((float)((newPoint.getX()*Math.cos(yaw))-(newPoint.getY()*Math.sin(yaw))));
        newPoint.setY((float)((newPoint.getX()*Math.sin(yaw))+(newPoint.getY()*Math.cos(yaw))));
        //ROLL
        newPoint.setY((float)((newPoint.getY()*Math.cos(roll))-(newPoint.getZ()*Math.sin(roll))));
        newPoint.setZ((float)((newPoint.getY()*Math.sin(roll))+(newPoint.getZ()*Math.cos(roll))));
        return newPoint;
    }

However, this still doesn't work.
From the correct angle (180 yaw, any pitch, 0 roll) it gets it correctly without the rotation, with only the translation reversal.
Any ideas?

fabian

Ok, Now I'm confused as hell.
The entire viewport height thing appears to have been wrong. After quoting the viewport.get(3)-Mouse.getY and just using Mouse.getY it works.