[FIXED]Minecraft 1.25 vs. LWJGL 2.8.4(OpenAL32.dll)

Started by o0Julia0o, June 14, 2012, 17:14:18

Previous topic - Next topic

o0Julia0o

hi :)

the OpenAL32.dll makes the sound be overdriven ;-(

in further versions i hadn´t this problem. If i use a old version from the OpenAL32.dll it sounds normal.

Soundblaster: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Driver-Version: 6.0.1.1348 from 07.07.2010

Julia :)

CodeBunny

This isn't Minecraft tech support, you know. If there's a problem with the Minecraft utilization of LWJGL, it's on their end, so bring it up with Jeb et al.

Elviz

I see (hear) this in my LWJGL-based application, too. No fancy code involved, I'm also able to reproduce it with org.lwjgl.test.openal.PlayTest. Wave output sounds loud and distorted when AL_GAIN is non-zero.

This is on a 32-bit Windows XP system with LWJGL 2.8.4. The problem wasn't present in (the OpenAL libraries packaged with) 2.8.3 and earlier.

A different Windows machine I tested my game on didn't exhibit the sound distortion, so I thought some aspect of my age-old sound card (SoundBlaster Live Value) or its drivers might be to blame here. Then again, I never really had any trouble with it before.

princec

What happens if you delete the OpenAL32.dll that comes with LWJGL and try again?

Cas :)

Elviz

Quote from: princec on June 15, 2012, 12:52:03
What happens if you delete the OpenAL32.dll that comes with LWJGL and try again?

Then I'll get an LWJGLException ("Could not locate OpenAL library") and the resulting UnsatisfiedLinkErrors.

But here's what may be a clue. This is the output produced by the constructor of org.lwjgl.test.openal.BasicTest when PlayTest is run using the OK-sounding 2.8.3:
Default device: DirectSound Default
Available devices: 
0: DirectSound Default

...whereas 2.8.4 prints this:
Default device: OpenAL Soft
Available devices: 
0: OpenAL Soft

Edit: Or perhaps that's just a naming issue, and the real problem is elsewhere. The OpenAL Soft commit log for 1.14 contains a number of commits related to device names.

kappa

what if you use an OpenAL32.dll from a previous version of LWJGL? does the sound still get 'overdriven'?

o0Julia0o

If i use an OpenAL32.dll from previous versions(i only can test 32bit) the sound sounds well.

Quote from: Elviz on June 15, 2012, 09:00:33
so I thought some aspect of my age-old sound card (SoundBlaster Live Value) or its drivers might be to blame here. Then again, I never really had any trouble with it before.
I am using a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Driver-Version: 6.0.1.1348 from 07.07.2010

kappa

If using an older version of OpenAL32.dll with the new version of LWJGL fixes the issue then the problem is likely with the OpenAL-Soft library and should be reported to them. LWJGL is using a pretty new version of OpenAL-Soft (1.14) so likely if they fix the issue we'll pick it up in the next release. For now you can just use an older version of OpenAL-Soft (OpenAL32.dll) if it fixes the issue for you.

EDIT: G to A :)

Matzon

Surely you mean OpenAL32.dll - and not OpenGL ;)

kappa

o0Julia0o

Quote from: kappa on June 15, 2012, 17:10:30
If using an older version of OpenAL32.dll with the new version of LWJGL fixes the issue then the problem is likely with the OpenAL-Soft library and should be reported to them.
thx, so to them. Who is them?

kappa

Quote from: o0Julia0o on June 15, 2012, 21:15:58
Quote from: kappa on June 15, 2012, 17:10:30
If using an older version of OpenAL32.dll with the new version of LWJGL fixes the issue then the problem is likely with the OpenAL-Soft library and should be reported to them.
thx, so to them. Who is them?

OpenAL-Soft

o0Julia0o

thx, no contact-email. Only a irc-channel. But nobody answeres.

Mickelukas

Quote from: o0Julia0o on June 15, 2012, 21:23:53
thx, no contact-email. Only a irc-channel. But nobody answeres.

There is a contact email on that website...
http://opensource.creative.com/mailman/listinfo/openal

o0Julia0o

oh, i only saw the mailinglist before - thx Mickelukas :)