Multitexturing - Finding number of texture units.

Started by Mojomonkey, February 29, 2004, 21:12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Mojomonkey

I'm trying to find the number of texture units that a card has using the following:

IntBuffer buf = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(4).asIntBuffer();
GL.glGetInteger(GL.GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB, buf);
int numTexUnits = buf.get();

Which gives:

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

So, I'm guessing I don't understand your implementation of glGetInteger.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
ever send a man to do a monkey's work.

elias

That's very weird indeed. Which LWJGL version are you using? What OS? And are you sure the error is at the GL call?

- elias

Mojomonkey

Using the unofficial LWJGL, I guess the 0.89 build? It's the EAX supported one. Windows XP, Radeon 9700 Pro.

I'm fairly certain that this is the problem because when I replace:

IntBuffer buf = ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(4).asIntBuffer();
GL.glGetInteger(GL.GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS_ARB, buf);
int numTexUnits = buf.get();

with

int numTexUnits = 4;

it works fine.

so it might not be the GL call, but the allocateDirect? I'm not sure.

elias

Try leaving the GL call out and only allocate the buffer. I've had OOM problems with the direct buffers before, because they don't trigger a gc if they overflow the heap. The easiest solution is a System.gc() && Runtime.runFinalizations() (or whatever it's called) before the allocation. But that might not be your problem at all of course.

Note: I'm suspicious because we never really allocate anything in LWJGL, and surely not in glGetInteger. The test will show.

- elias

Mojomonkey

interesting, the culprit is:

nt numTexUnits = buf.get();

allocating the buffer worked fine, getting the integer for GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNTIS_ARB worked fine, but trying to get the result died.

Mojomonkey

Well, tried rewinding the buffer, tried setting the marker, tried only getting the first byte, tried everything to no avail. Can some write a little test app that just gets the number of texture units of their card and tell me what I'm doing stupid? I know it's a dumb little error, but I'm missing it.

cfmdobbie

The only thing I can see that's missing is .order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()), but it shouldn't cause a problem like that, should it?  Does it function any differently using GL_MAX_TEXTURE_UNITS instead of the ARB version?
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

Mojomonkey

Sure enough, setting to native order worked. Thanks!

cfmdobbie

Request for 0.9:  A "BufferUtils" class as follows:

package org.lwjgl.whatever;

import java.nio.*;

public class BufferUtils
{
	public static FloatBuffer newFloatBuffer(int size) {
		return ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(size * 4).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asFloatBuffer();
	}

public static IntBuffer newIntBuffer(int size) {
		return ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(size * 4).order(ByteOrder.nativeOrder()).asIntBuffer();
	}
}

There are way too many unnecessary problems appearing with non-direct, non-native-ordered, non-multiplied-by-four (or any combination thereof) buffers.  Include this class and remove all that duplicated and non-obvious crap once and for all. :D
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.