Hello Guest

[CLOSED] DrawableLWJGL implementation for SWT GLCanvas

• 2 Replies

Kai

[CLOSED] DrawableLWJGL implementation for SWT GLCanvas
« on: December 05, 2011, 21:33:34 »
I switched from Swing (AWTGLCanvas) to SWT (GLCanvas), because SWT is a whole lot faster and more customizable than Swing, because it does not fully abstract the underlying operating system away.
Now, I wanted to use SharedDrawable for some multithreaded offscreen rendering while my main app is rendering in a GLCanvas. Both contexts should share the same resources (such as Vertex Buffers), so I would need an instance of DrawableLWJGL (for the context to share with a SharedDrawable) but I could not find any class adapting DrawableLWJGL for a SWT GLCanvas.

It would be really nice if such a class could be provided by LWJGL.

Re: [RFE] DrawableLWJGL implementation for SWT GLCanvas
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 01:37:53 »
Kai,

Are you aware of the GEF3D project? I'm not sure of your usage, but I'm guessing that those guys have done a lot of stuff that might be helpful for you..

http://git.eclipse.org/c/gef3d/org.eclipse.gef3d.git/tree/plugins/org.eclipse.draw3d.lwjgl

hth,

Miles

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
Re: [RFE] DrawableLWJGL implementation for SWT GLCanvas
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:42:23 »
This is hard to do with the current architecture. The planned refactoring for LWJGL 3.0 should provide much better abstractions for this kind of thing. But even then, LWJGL would need access to the SWT-internal window/context handles. Not sure if those are available without help from the SWT devs.