Title bar and multi window support

Started by tlf30, November 26, 2011, 00:55:14

Previous topic - Next topic

tlf30

AWT fails, so far the icons are not working correctly, we will have to rebuild them. Also putting the lwjgl window in AWT is glichy. I have traced the problem with the title bar to the lwjgl.dll, but I have no idea how the stardock themes work so I am not able to fix the problem. There has to be a way to get overlay themes running and apply them to the title bar because no other programs has this problem only lwjgl built ones.

Peter M Ashford

Quote from: tlf30 on January 23, 2012, 08:29:41
Changing the canvas over was voted down in my last development meeting, it there a way of adding custom title bar theme support to lwjgl?

Is there any technical reason why you can't apply the solution you were given? 

It seems odd (and moderately offensive) to have a group of non-programmers rejecting the advice that a group of domain experts have given you (at great length, I might add)

Evil-Devil

Stardock?!

Don't get me wrong, but you want the lwjgl team to create a fix/workaround that works with propritary software like stardock?
That's hilarious!

As CodeBunny allready suggested you should try to go with Display.setParent or switch to Fullscreen. Or is there any particular reason to have a windowed viewport?

tlf30

We need the window and fullscreen options, because some computers, esspecially thoughs that do not have the correct drivers, will have thier screens just go black. Also we have been working with fullscreen is there a way to support multiple screens?

CodeBunny

Not that I know of, no. The Display is a single, static entity.

Potentially you could work out something similar with multiple AWTGLCanvases; however, that would most likely be impossible to make rigorous. Such functionality would probably be waaaay too much work for far too little payoff.

tlf30

How have other games made multipal screens work, there has got to be a was to split the canvas between 2 screens and identify them sepratly.

tlf30

IDEA:
could you open 2 windows from the same program then put each one to fullscreen on one of the 2 screens?

CodeBunny

You're starting to get very far afield. I'd recommend that you focus on the topic of this thread; if you want to start a new topic on multi-monitor fullscreen apps with LWJGL, that's a better idea.

I'm not sure, but I've always assumed that multi-monitor fullscreen was something the graphics card did on its own, not something that applications managed. A quick look on Wikipedia seems to support this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor#Span_or_extended_desktop_mode). However, there does seem to be a mention of how you can explicitly program such functionality (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-monitor#Programming).

As to your idea, that's what I was alluding to, yes. However, AWTGLCanvas is the only way to have multiple display surfaces concurrently in LWJGL, and it's been very unstable when I've used it. Additionally, you need to impose some sort of artificial mechanics to prevent one of the windows from being moved, minimized, closed, etc. without the other following suit.

tlf30

Well, if lwjgl can go into fullscreen, then there should be a way to look to see if multiple scrren are there, then be able to use each one independently.

CodeBunny

...You have no idea of how the GPU / fullscreen applications work if you think that. It's simply not that easy.

You also seem to be forgetting that LWJGL is just an OpenGL wrapper API with very few embellishments (OpenAL and JInput, basically); adding a complex AI for something as esoteric as multi-monitor fullscreen is just not fully in line with LWJGL itself. Please note that a focused API is much better than an API with a bunch of random features added in. In this case, especially because this particular addition would come in priority after a long line of other functionality.

Side Note: It's confusing to randomly rename the topic on a whim - please don't do that. Again, start a new topic.