Hello Guest

[RFE] Make "undecorated" accessible for Applets

• 7 Replies
[RFE] Make "undecorated" accessible for Applets
« on: December 07, 2011, 20:49:15 »
Currently, an Applet game lacks the ability to switch to 'Display Type: Desktop' due to the fact that an Applet is not allowed to call 'System.setProperty("org.lwjgl.opengl.Window.undecorated", "false")'. It would be really cool (and it's easy for you to do) if an Applet could switch to a fullscreen / desktop window (like youtube). Switching to a real fullscreen mode is messing up the position of other windows.

Here is an example.

Thanks a lot!

Regards
Stefan

Offline kappa

Re: [RFE] Make "undecorated" accessible for Applets
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 21:01:12 »
applets can switch that parameter on, see lwjgl_arguments tag on the AppletLoader.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 22:21:36 »
Yes, but that switch is not available at runtime. For an Applet it's a constant. By defining "lwjgl_arguments:'-Dorg.lwjgl.opengl.Window.undecorated=true'", the Applet starts with an undecorated window as display. That is undesirable in most cases. It would be better if the user could switch to fake fullscreen and back like a youtube video.

An Applet can already toggle between embedded, window and fullscreen display, but fullscreen is messing up the position of other windows. And there are players who have two monitors and like to be able to see teamspeak / vent / icq / web browser on the second monitor without alt-tabbing back and searching for the windows that have moved offscreen.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 22:44:38 by survivor »

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 10:17:44 »
Switching to real fullscreen should have no effect on other windows. You are setting the fullscreen mode to be the desktop display mode aren't you?

Cas :)

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 14:04:22 »
You're right. Fullscreen at desktop display mode dosn't change other windows. Remains the benefit of being able to drag the mouse over to the second monitor and for example drag someone into another channel in teamspeak / ventrillo. Many games today like WoW and Anno 2070 (excellent GUI) have such a "desktop mode" and I appreciate it a lot.

The needed changes in LWJGL are minimal. I did it myself, but I like the signed AppletLoader.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 14:14:54 by survivor »

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 14:32:46 »
TBH it would probably be nice if LWJGL had an option not to take over multiple monitors when it is placed in FS mode.

Cas :)

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 19:20:55 »
You're right. Fullscreen at desktop display mode dosn't change other windows. Remains the benefit of being able to drag the mouse over to the second monitor and for example drag someone into another channel in teamspeak / ventrillo. Many games today like WoW and Anno 2070 (excellent GUI) have such a "desktop mode" and I appreciate it a lot.

The needed changes in LWJGL are minimal. I did it myself, but I like the signed AppletLoader.

Do you mind sharing what you changed and how you switch to desktop mode? I sign my lwjgl files anyway and some users have problems with entering/leaving full screen mode so it would be nice to test.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 20:48:27 »
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:42:24 by survivor »