[FIXED] Mouse buttons beyond the first 3 don't work

Started by avm1979, September 19, 2011, 16:37:05

Previous topic - Next topic

avm1979

I'm getting multiple reports from players that mouse buttons beyond the first 3 (left, right, scrollwheel click) don't work - apparently, just not getting any events for those clicks with a org.lwjgl.input.Mouse.poll(). Using LWJGL 2.7.1, btw.

Couldn't verify this myself (only have a 3-button mouse atm), but searching around the forum I found these couple of threads, but they were rather old so I thought I'd post a new one here.

Is this a known problem? Is there a chance of the extra mouse buttons getting recognized in a future release?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

kappa

just curious, which OS are you testing on? would allow narrowing down the issue a little more. A quick look at the windows implementation doesn't show any limit but the OS X implementation looks like it might be hardcoded for 3 buttons (left, right and middle).

avm1979

Hmm, it seems like they're actually running into it on Windows, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'll see if I can wrangle a mouse with some extra buttons to reproduce the issue.

avm1979

Ok, tested with this mouse on Windows XP.

It's got a couple of extra buttons - back, forward, and zoom. The back and forward work (in the browser), but none of them seem to generate mouse events in LWJGL.

Bitza

I'm having the same issue.

I've tried running the same code on both Linux and Windows using the same mouse, but only 3 buttons ever register (0, 1, and 2; that is left-click, right-click and middle-click) while my mouse has 8 available (a back and forward button that works with browsers and non-lwjgl games, as well as 3 bonus buttons near the mouse wheel). Here is my mouse: Link to mouse on newegg.

When I call Mouse.getButtonCount() I get 8 on Windows, but only 3 on Linux.

Hopefully this information can help narrow the problem down some.

Matzon

I comitted a change (r3734), please check on windows now. Should cover button 4 and 5. Not sure how to read 5+ buttons ...

kappa

committed a change to fix the 3 mouse button limit on Linux too, which should now support mice with up to 256 buttons.

marking RFE as fixed.