LWJGL Wiki Examples

Started by jediTofu, September 09, 2011, 04:06:37

Previous topic - Next topic

jediTofu

I was going to post my template code for applets, but not sure what would be the best way on the wiki because that one little Example Code section on the main page could end up having hundreds (hopefully) of links in the future by various authors.

Should I create a new Example Code page?
And then each section is separated by Topic?
Or maybe even an Example Code page and a Template Code page?
And should I add my name to the title (in case have various people all wanting to post an example of the same thing)?

What's the best way you think?

=Example Codes=
==Open Source Games==
==Open Source Apps==
==Saving Screenshots==
==Blah, blah, blah==

=Templates=
==Applet Templates==
[JediTofu_Applet_Template]
[Bob_Applet_Template]
[Sue_Applet_Template]
==Window Templates==
cool story, bro

CodeBunny

Why don't we have sub-pages for each different topic of example code, and have a "master" page with links to all of them?

Example:

Master Page
Links to:

• Page A
  • Page B
  • Page C

Page A
Has code and examples for subject A.

Page B
Has code and examples for subject B.

Page C
Has code and examples for subject C.

That way, you can either link to the generalized "Example Code" page, or you can select a topic you want to link to. Additionally, when modifying/adding new pages, you can basically ignore what else is up and focus on the changes you're making.

Evil-Devil

The current wiki start page isn't that big. Depending on the amount of new pages you have to create we can think about reorganizing the structure.

Or you can test it here in the forums or the playground area of the wiki.

Another thing we should do earlier or later is using the categories. Currently we only use the "Examples" categorie, but imho we should use them more as it make reorganizing content more easier. Another advantage is, that we can create overview pages depening on the categories subpages.

So, how many new pages do you plan to create?

kappa

@Evil-Devil agreed, Content is King.

Once we have enough pages and there is a need for subsection then it would make sense to start creating them. The content part is probably the first hurdle we should jump :)

Chuck

Use categories, it's way superior to imposing a static url scheme on everything from the start.  There are plugins for mediawiki that can give you nice category trees.

Allow subpages in the User: namespace if it isn't already enabled, and that's a perfect place for people to dump their simple examples or works in progress or whatever without worrying about organization.

By the way, can I have a wiki account? :)

kappa

rollins

Quote from: kappa on September 09, 2011, 15:25:08
@Evil-Devil agreed, Content is King.

Once we have enough pages and there is a need for subsection then it would make sense to start creating them. The content part is probably the first hurdle we should jump :)

much ORIGINAL (of course) content can make a miracle. it is hard to do all of that, but just be patient and if you patiently keep on working, success is inevitable.