[CLOSED] Secondary monitor consusion

Started by lwatts, September 07, 2011, 18:37:26

Previous topic - Next topic

lwatts

I'm using duel monitors, and recently switched which card is my primary monitor.  Previously while my primary monitor was Monitor ID 1, I couldn't start an OpenGL game if both monitors was on.  Interestingly, I could start a game with both monitors on if another OpenGL game was already started.  To avoid this issue while starting games, I would start a dummy OpenGL game up and throw it to my secondary monitor and ignore it.

Due to over heating issues, I had to swap my game monitor to the naturally cooler card.  It is now the primary monitor with an ID of 2.  Now games state that I have a bad driver and are unable to start if I have both monitors turned on, even while using the jumping stone dummy game.

I can still get games to start if I go to a single monitor, and they remain running when I turn the secondary monitor back on.  In all cases, games fail to render when on the secondary monitor (this doesn't bother me, but I feel is relevant).

As this behavior is on more then one game, and their ability to start is tied to the second monitor being on, I believe this is a difficulty outside of the games.  If there is a better place for this, please let me know.

Bad video card drivers!       
      -----------------------      

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.
This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

CodeBunny

This is not a programming issue, it's a hardware/driver one. Check out your driver providers for updates/reinstalling.

lwatts

So if I'm at the latest version of the driver, the best I can do is complain to them?

CodeBunny

Or find a driver forum where the people you are talking to are more able to help out with your issue.

My initial point, "This is not a driver forum," was not intended to mean, "I don't want to help you." I'm pointing out that driver issues are not our specialty, and that there are other public forums where your issue in particular would be resolved much more quickly.

Additionally, this forum is intended as a programmer's resource (and a relatively focused one at that), and it really shouldn't turn into a hardware/driver Q&A. From that point of view, your question should be redirected to another site where that is the intended purpose.

lwatts

Feedback on this, to solve I removed one of my two cards (both identical) which solved the game launching issue, and fixed my heating issue.  I'm still blue screen restarting for an unknown cause when the monitor switches display resolution.  By a Newegg review, someone else is having a similar issue fixed by underclocking their card.  I haven't tried this yet.

MSI N450GTS CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTS 450 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Posted in case someone googles into this thread they aren't left at a dead end.  Thank you for your time CodeBunny.