The Java Rabbit Engine - a 2D Game Engine written with LWJGL

Started by CodeBunny, September 04, 2011, 01:25:49

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeBunny

So, after 21 months of development and countless revisions, I have finally finished version 1.0 of my first real programming project: The Java Rabbit Engine.

The Java Rabbit Engine (jRabbit for short) is a lightweight, hardware accelerated 2D game engine. It is fast and flexible, and allows for very east yet non-constricting development.

Atm, due to time, effort, and energy constraints I do not have a tutorial suite available. However, I DO have a completely open source game written with the engine that is:

A) my first complete game,
B) a proof-of-concept that the engine works well,
C) a showcase of all major features of the engine, and
D) a fully documented, working example of how to make an entire game.

So, meet Micron: http://play.minds-eye-games.com/micron

It's a 2D randomly generated abstract shooter. Everything except the music (code, art, etc.) has been created by me.

I'd recommend downloading either the EXE or the executable Jar over playing it as an applet. It's a bit more fun as a fullscreen desktop game, and it allows the user to use the persistent high scores and soundtrack features.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

kappa

the .jar extensions are missing on the native files for mac, linux and solaris in the html for the applet, causing the applet not to work on those operating system.

However really nice game.

CodeBunny

kappa

Quote from: CodeBunny on September 04, 2011, 14:28:00
Thank you for telling me. Is it fixed now?

Thank you!

Yes, it works now. You might want to also consider adding a fullscreen mode to the applet version.

CodeBunny

jediTofu

The applet crashes for me with "can't load logo/progressbar."  I think this is a bug with LWJGL on Linux.  You need to actually extract the logo/progressbar images and specify them in the applet code.  For some reason, it won't read the defaults in the LWJGL jars.  I have to do this for my applets.

I then downloaded the Jar and tried running it.  The rabbit logo appeared, then the sound, and then the loading part.  Then it crashed with an error in the native code:
"# C  [i965_dri.so+0x3f859]  _init+0x15719"

What's odd is that it seems to be a different ".so" file everytime I run it.  After I ran it 3 times though, it crashed my computer haha.  It's probably something with OpenCL or something advanced that my hardware doesn't have support for.

I like the Mind's Eye name :0  (also the Wolfmother song)
cool story, bro

Matzon

kappa

Quote from: jediTofu on September 05, 2011, 04:10:11
The applet crashes for me with "can't load logo/progressbar."  I think this is a bug with LWJGL on Linux.  You need to actually extract the logo/progressbar images and specify them in the applet code.  For some reason, it won't read the defaults in the LWJGL jars.  I have to do this for my applets.
Works fine for me on linux as is (without extracting any images). Which linux variant are you on anyway (including arch and java version)?

CodeBunny

I haven't done any focus testing, so there are some bugs cropping up. I'm sorry to anyone who wants to play the game but can't. Mac seems to be the main problem.

johnnyh

Impressive work but already done a thousand times before. Dont hopte to sell a lot of game like that. Try to find a good idea before coding. Cheers.

jediTofu

Quote from: kappa on September 05, 2011, 09:18:34
Quote from: jediTofu on September 05, 2011, 04:10:11
The applet crashes for me with "can't load logo/progressbar."  I think this is a bug with LWJGL on Linux.  You need to actually extract the logo/progressbar images and specify them in the applet code.  For some reason, it won't read the defaults in the LWJGL jars.  I have to do this for my applets.
Works fine for me on linux as is (without extracting any images). Which linux variant are you on anyway (including arch and java version)?

Linux Mint 10 (Ubuntu 10.10).  AMD 64-bit.  (Linux 2.6.35-22).
java version "1.6.0_26"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_26-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.1-b02, mixed mode)

I'm using Oracle/Sun's Java instead of OpenJDK currently.  I also use Opera as my main browser (EDIT:  just tried in FireFox, and it can't load logo/progressbar either, so most likely a Sun thing?).  One of these is probably the problem.

Also, the LWJGL applet demo doesn't even run on Fedora 15 (OpenJDK/IcedTea plugin on firefox, no modifications to Java on it).  I need to investigate this one more though...
cool story, bro

jediTofu

Quote from: johnnyh on September 05, 2011, 15:01:01
Impressive work but already done a thousand times before. Dont hopte to sell a lot of game like that. Try to find a good idea before coding. Cheers.

That's pretty rude.  I don't think he was planning on making money with it seeing as how Micron is open source; it is just to give a working example of JRabbit.  To me, the screenshots and code look great; keep up the good work.  8)
cool story, bro

johnnyh

CodeBunny

...what? Of course not. I never said I was selling it, and the fact that it's Open Source and Open Resource (feel free to use all created textures/images/ideas in your own games, btw) kind of implies the contrary.

Micron is intentionally stripped down, it's a feature display. It's also a working example of how to use the Java Rabbit Engine, because I don't have a completed tutorial suite as of yet.

Dude, this engine and this game are the first two programming projects I have completed, ever. I'm not selling them, I've made them open source to A) get outside opinion and to B) make myself adhere to a standard of quality.

CodeBunny

Out of curiosity, did you read a single word of my post? I'm pretty sure I was clear in what I intended for the game.