Hello Guest

Grabbing only the openAL lib from LWJGL

• 2 Replies
Grabbing only the openAL lib from LWJGL
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:01:08 »
Hello,

I'm using the JOGL renderer and would like to use only the openAL bindings from the LWJGL.

I got the basic audio tutorial running, I had to include in my project lwjgl.jar for the openAL bindings and lwjglUtil.jar for the file loading.... I hoped that it would be enough to use the openAL dlls but found out that I must also use the lwjgl dll - is there a way to avoid that? since I'm not using the LWJGL OpenGL bindings I don't think it is really needed to have that dll as well... but I don't see a way around it.

JOGL works fine for me (except an applet issue on macs) so I don't really want to switch... I did check that option out though, and found out that JOGL allows using float arrays in some of the API calls while LWJGL requires the use of ByteBuffers... I prefer to use float arrays, especially since the android OpenGL ES interface also supports it, so that makes it easier to port the engine\game to Android (already got that working so If I switch a lot of class to use buffers it would mess that up).

If there isn't a way to use LWJGL OpenAL bindings without the lwjgl.dll - is there a plan to allow that in the future?

Thanks!

Offline Matzon

Re: Grabbing only the openAL lib from LWJGL
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 20:38:20 »
No plans to split out OpenAL from LWJGL - consider using JOAL.

Re: Grabbing only the openAL lib from LWJGL
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 15:48:04 »
Or switch to LWJGL, I did that and the support from Matzon and the guys have been amazing :)

Mike