Dropping support for Solaris

Started by Matzon, April 12, 2011, 20:00:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Matzon

Due to technical issues, we want to investigate the option of not including a Solaris version of LWJGL in the official download.
For now, you should still be able to build it yourself - but we wont bundle it...

This is sort of a deprecation of solaris support, since not actively building it could mean that we break it without knowing...

My gut feeling is that its nice to support many platforms, but ultimately its really only windows, mac and linux that counts - installed base wise at least.

Please chime in, especially those using LWJGL for non-gaming stuff that we don't know of :)

Endolf

Hi

As the bloke who maintains the build farm, I would be more than happy to turn a node off and stop having to fix it :)

Endolf

avm1979

I hesitate to vote no, since even though I'm not using Solaris, that doesn't mean no one else should :)

Still... Solaris seems like it's coming to a dead end, especially with Sun getting bought.  Great OS that never really made it as much as it deserved to, imo.  So if it's getting to be a pain for you guys, it's probably not worth it.  And after all, the "G" in LWJGL stands for "game", and Solaris isn't much of a market for that.

Just my 2c.

jediTofu

I put "no", but really I'm a "maybe."  If Solaris is cut out, it makes me kind of view C++ and SDL (Simple DirectMedia Library) as a better option.  But because it's pretty much only for servers/workstations now (since Oracle killed OpenSolaris), it's not that big of deal, especially if it means better support/time for the big 3.  I would also rather stick with using Java instead of C++.

I am really 100% fine with either way, to be honest, as long as Linux support is never cut haha.
cool story, bro

Endolf

Open solaris might have gone away, but Oracle still do solaris express (which is free as in beer) and the open solaris people forked a project called open indiana to carry on where open solaris left off.

I don't use any of them except for the build farm.

Endolf

kappa

looks like a 100% of ppl are in favour of dropping the Solaris support in the official releases? :)

So is it decided that the next release will drop Solaris support now?