Problem with WaveData - NullPointer

Started by penguin, March 22, 2011, 16:42:41

Previous topic - Next topic

penguin

Hello,

Today i've started to do some things with OpenAL and i want to load a Wave-File, but if i try to load one with the WaveData Class (org.lwjgl.util.WaveData) the returned WaveData Object is a NullPointer.

Here's my code:
package com.iceengine.audio.sound;

/**
 * @author penguin
 */
import org.lwjgl.util.WaveData;
import org.lwjgl.openal.AL10;
import org.lwjgl.openal.AL;

import java.nio.IntBuffer;
import org.lwjgl.BufferUtils;
public class WaveSound implements Sound {
    private WaveData myData;
    private IntBuffer alBuffer = BufferUtils.createIntBuffer(1);
    private IntBuffer alSource = BufferUtils.createIntBuffer(1);

public void setListener(float[] Position, float[] Velocity, float[] Orientation)
    {
        AL10.alListener3f(AL10.AL_POSITION, Position[0], Position[1], Position[2]);
        AL10.alListener3f(AL10.AL_VELOCITY, Velocity[0], Velocity[1], Velocity[2]);
        AL10.alListener3f(AL10.AL_ORIENTATION, Orientation[0], Orientation[1], Orientation[2]);
    }
    public void loadSound(String Path)
    {
        myData = WaveData.create(Path);
        AL10.alGenBuffers(alBuffer);
        System.out.println(alBuffer + " " + myData);
        System.out.println(alBuffer + " " + myData.format + " " + myData.data + " " + myData.samplerate);
        AL10.alBufferData(alBuffer.get(0), myData.format, myData.data, myData.samplerate);
        myData.dispose();
    }
    public void genSources(float[] sourcePos, float[] sourceVelocity)
    {
        AL10.alGenSources(alSource);
        AL10.alSourcei(alSource.get(0), AL10.AL_BUFFER, alBuffer.get(0));
        AL10.alSourcef(alSource.get(0), AL10.AL_PITCH, 1.0f);
        AL10.alSourcef(alSource.get(0), AL10.AL_GAIN, 1.0f);
        AL10.alSource3f(alSource.get(0), AL10.AL_POSITION, sourcePos[0], sourcePos[1], sourcePos[2]);
        AL10.alSource3f(alSource.get(0), AL10.AL_VELOCITY, sourceVelocity[0], sourceVelocity[1], sourceVelocity[2]);
    }

public void killSource()
    {
        AL10.alDeleteBuffers(alBuffer.get(0));
        AL10.alDeleteSources(alSource.get(0));
    }

public void init()
    {
        try {
            AL.create();
        } catch (Exception e)
        {

}
    }
    public void startPlay()
    {
        AL10.alSourcePlay(alSource.get(0));
    }
    public void stopPlay()
    {
        AL10.alSourcePause(alSource.get(0));
    }
    public void haltPlay()
    {
        AL10.alSourceStop(alSource.get(0));
    }
}

Here's the code how i use my class:

WaveSound mySound = new WaveSound();
          mySound.init();
          float[] tmp = {0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f};
          mySound.setListener(tmp, tmp, tmp);
          mySound.loadSound("hell.wav"); // hell.wav exists in Project folder, also tried with absolute path, but don't work.
          mySound.genSources(tmp, tmp);
          mySound.startPlay();

I hope someone can help me and, btw sorry for my bad english (I'm German).

Regards,
Penguin

kappa

That usually just means that its not finding the sound files, try putting your sound files in a jar file and adding it to the classpath.

penguin

Sorry for late answer, i was very busy.
This works, but is there no other choice to play the Soundfile?

jediTofu

import java.io.FileInputStream;
//...
    FileInputStream fin = null;
    WaveData waveFile = null;
    try {
      fin = new FileInputStream("MyFile.wav");
      waveFile = WaveData.create(fin);
    } catch (java.io.FileNotFoundException ex) {
      ex.printStackTrace();
    }
    finally {
      if(fin != null) {
        try{ fin.close(); }catch(java.io.IOException ex){}
      }
    }

LWJGL Tutorials
cool story, bro

Phobeus

Sorry, to dig this out, but I just had a similiar problem when trying to load a wav from the file system and doubt that the example code is wrong. Whatever I tried, I always just got a null pointer exception after trying to load the data. Actually when loading it from a file system and the target file does not exist, the FileNotFoundException will be raised already. However, the file was found, but I still got just a null back. After going down a little bit into the code, I noticed, that it is using an own logger that was actually preventing to show the real problem. I am actually not sure, if it is a got idea to wrap an exception into a hidden logger, but... After adding
System.setProperty("org.lwjgl.util.Debug", "true");

i see the following message:
"Unable to create from inputstream, mark/reset not supported"

This actually gave me the right hint. I think that it is completely right as FileInputStream should not support mark/reset, so I wrapped it into a BufferedStream:
wavefile = WaveData.create(new BufferedInputStream(fin));

And suddenly the sound is loaded correctly. However, I am not an expert with streams and maybe someone can validate, if the current listing for loading sound files from the filesystem is correct. Else there might be a lot of newcomers having problems to just play a sound.

n4pgamer

Thanks, I had the exact same problem.

I would like to use the WaveData.create(String path) but it seems to have some bugs because it loads the wave in eclipse but it wont load it when I pack my project to jar and run it in windows (is debug mode the reason ? you might wanna check that guys). And my jar project was working in windows properly except the sounds. So this is what I use now and it works good.
WaveData wavefile = WaveData.create(new BufferedInputStream(new FileInputStream(path)));

// btw: Thanks for the bug fix in 2.8.2 with the exit crash!

DruLeeParsec

n4pgamer :

That's interesting.  I'm having the same issue.  If I use your example
WaveData wavefile = WaveData.create(new BufferedInputStream(new FileInputStream(path)));

That works if my asset path is outside my Jar file.  However, I'd love to be able to package my assets (sounds and images) inside the jar.

I was trying to get my sound file this way and it works great in Eclipse, but as n4pgamer mentioned, it breaks when packaged.

ClassLoader load =  this.getClass().getClassLoader();
	    WaveData waveFile = WaveData.create(load.getResourceAsStream("assets/scene_01/sounds/spacebackground.wav"));

That works great for other types of files.  For example, this code works great for getting image files from the jar
    ClassLoader load = this.getClass().getClassLoader();
    URL url = load.getResource(fileName);
    image = ImageIO.read(url);

Has anyone found a way to get sound files into WaveData when the sound files are packaged in the Jar?

Thank you

Greg

DruLeeParsec

I think I found it

ClassLoader load =  this.getClass().getClassLoader();
	    String path = "assets/scene_01/sounds/spacebackground.wav";
	    URL url = load.getResource(path);
	    WaveData waveFile = WaveData.create(url);

That seems to work with the asset directory in the jar file

Necrowizzard

Quote from: Phobeus on October 06, 2011, 22:34:55

wavefile = WaveData.create(new BufferedInputStream(fin));

Thanks alot!

I was unable to load the file from my jar. It worked in Eclipse. Simply wrapping a BufferedInputStream around the FileInputStream fixed the loading problem of sound files.

jmguillemette

wrapping it in a bufferedInputstream didnt work for me.. but loading it into a ByteArrayInputStream and then doing .create did work.

wonder if the size of the file had an impact?