Hello Guest

[RFE] 32/64 bit natives jars for next release?

• 4 Replies
[RFE] 32/64 bit natives jars for next release?
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:04:49 »
Was wondering if it would be possible to get 32/64 bit natives jars as part of the next release (or some other time in the future)?

As mentioned in the wiki: http://lwjgl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Deploying_with_the_LWJGL_Applet_Loader_3_-_Compression (Further Saving by Splitting Natives by Architecture) this would further improve download time for applets.

Re: 32/64 bit natives jars for next release?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:19:10 »
I second this :)

Mike

Offline kappa

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:20:44 »
The LWJGL release tries to cater for the needs of as many ppl as possible with the single release, this includes noob's and pro's. Splitting up the native jars will make it more difficult and cumbersome for people to handle (especially noobs) as you'll have to manage almost twice the amount of native jars. Also remember not currently possible on Macs as they use fat binaries. The current release IMO strikes is a nice balance between easy of use and download size. I suppose if its something thats really needed then another folder can be added to the applet download package that contains split up signed natives.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:41:20 »
I doubt that less files makes it enough easier for noobs to qualify the extra download. As long as people don't have to do anything with the files (except for placing them on the server) I doubt it'll make any difference at all that 5 or something extra files appears.

Mike

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 14:20:02 »
I would be perfectly happy if this was extra, i.e. that the current files are still there, but that signed native jars for 32/64 bit (win/linux) would also be released.

-pjoe