Hello Guest

Looking to Develop Games - Dont know where to start

• 10 Replies
Looking to Develop Games - Dont know where to start
« on: February 22, 2011, 14:38:44 »
Im looking to start up ametur game development. Mainly as a hobby currently, but with the view to eventually continue it as a career. After looking around pretty heavily, ive settled on Java, mainly because if the game development fails, ive still got knowledge of an incredibly strong language.
Now, Ive been looking around for a couple of weeks now, and I dont seem to be getting anywhere with basic Java. Not due to not understanding it, instead I cant find any tutorials that are any good.. Im probably looking in the wrong place. Anyway, ive gotten a very basic grasp of the core of Java itsself through trial and error and looking at sample code, but ultimatley ive come here asking two things.

1. Are there any good beginner Java tutorials that would take me up to the level to develop say.. A simple platformer in LWJGL?
2. Are there any good beginner Java tutorials that are focused around game development in Java, or LWJGL?

Now, I am a complete and utter programming novice, However I do have a certain knack for things like this. For example; before I had even started to look at Java, I Developed a very small Minecraft server addon with No experience in Java, or any programming language for that matter, and it worked. Ive always been able to grasp things like this, and I have taken a massive interest in Programming, but I just dont know where to start, and thats my problem. Im incredibly talented with maths as well, and ive been told it can only help my situation.

I figured here was the best place to post, since after all, you are a community of Java game developers =]

Thanks

Re: Looking to Develop Games - Dont know where to start
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 15:25:26 »
You might start in the wiki :)
http://lwjgl.org/wiki/

Or take a look at the linked resources there.
http://lwjgl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Links_and_Resources

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 16:17:50 »
Thanks - I didn't know about links and resources. ill have a look through them.
I have had a good look around the wiki before however, and it all is written from the perspective of knowing the java language - which is my first problem. I cant really find any good tutorials on the language itsself really.

Offline kappa

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 16:23:55 »
LWJGL is essentially a binding to OpenGL, OpenAL and OpenCL so to get started you should consider reviewing tutorials in relation to those bindings, any (even non java) tutorials should do.

However if you just want to get started with Java games straight away, you should have a look at the Slick2D library. Its built on top of LWJGL and allows creating games really quickly. The slick2d wiki also contains some really nice tutorials on how to make various games.

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 17:45:07 »
Oh wow, Thanks!
Oh, convenient, its even got a guide on how to use tiled. My mate has been using that to build some test levels to see how they look.

Thanks for the help, Ill go through all of this, I think its exactly what im looking for =]

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 22:41:48 »
My only reservation with regards to this Slick Library is that I dont feel im really learning how Java works and how the game engines themselves actually work. It feels a little bit like Gamemaker. Yeah, you can make a game, but that doesnt mean you can make anything.
However, It is pretty nice being able to get a functional game going within about 7 minutes.

Offline kappa

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 23:02:13 »
If your mainly concerned about learning java then you should stick with Slick2D and try make a full complete game. You learn a lot more about Java as you get to more advance stages of making a game. If you want to learn OpenGL then you should stick with LWJGL, its a bit harder to learn both Java and OpenGL at the same time.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 23:06:22 »
Hmm.. Alright then, Ill have a go with Slick. Ive got a game in mind, which conveniently is simple with potential for complexity.
Thanks for your help, I would've never found Slick otherwise =]

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 01:01:06 »
As for learning Java, I'd say buy a couple of books.  Later on when you learn new languages, you can just learn from the internetz (because the concepts are basically the same, just different syntax).  Look online at Amazon for good up-to-date Java books for beginners and read the comments.  For me, this was essential when I first started out; I learned C++ from three very good books:  a fun beginner book (dummies; complete idiot's guide), a huge reference book, and a more serious beginner book (here, I'd suggest something on game theory or even OpenGL; even if it is in C++ or another language, you should be able to use the concepts in Java).  This was the first language I learned almost a decade ago; Java is a much better beginner language (and you can make apps for the Android) than C++.  Anyway, once I learned that, it was very easy to then learn Java and other languages (Ruby, Python, etc.) using only online tutorials, etc.  The nice thing about books is that (almost) everything is clearly defined right there in front of you; you don't have to search all over the net and check 100 sites to figure out the best way.  Also, you can write in it, and it's easier to look at a book and type than be constantly switching windows (or having your windows shrunk next to each other).  Finally, I'd suggest using the NetBeans or Eclipse IDE (Integrated Development Environment), and maybe even dual-booting with Linux ;) but that is just optional and me being a Linux whore.
cool story, bro

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 01:15:44 »
Wow, thanks for the help. So an actual Physical book would be worth my while? If thats the case, I shall look into it. So essentially, youre saying that really, I should use Java to learn the basic concepts, and then all I need to do is learn syntax of other languages, and that can be done using the online tutorials? Nice, Thanks!

(Also, Im way ahead of you - Ive had a Dual boot of Linux for a good 4-5 Years now, and ive got netbeans too. =])

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:41 »
Without sounding too self serving, I would like to suggest the env3d library (http://env3d.org).  It's a 3D library written specifically for learning the Java language.  It uses the BlueJ IDE (netbeans can open BlueJ projects using the BlueJ plug-in).

On the env3d website, you can find many tutorials (under the lessons section) that are designed to illustrate OO concepts.  As well, the library has facilitates that make applet deployment a snap.  You can check out some student projects in the showcase section of the site.

Projects: 
   Env3D (http://env3d.org): Learn Java in 3D
   WhaleChat (http://whalechat.com): A 3D social programming experiment