Hello Guest

[FIXED] Keyboard does not respond on Linux

• 27 Replies

Offline kappa

Re: LWJGL app could not detect keyboard
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 08:35:47 »
Have a look at the basic applet example on the wiki. Should be pretty much the same for applications (just replace Applet with JFrame).

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 06:30:45 »
I've tried some of the code on that page (setIgnoreRepaint and setFocusable) and it still crashes with that error. I think it's a driver issue.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 17:06:34 »
Have you verified that the GL context has focus?

Just a thought.  :-\
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 19:44:57 »
did you try LWJGL 2.7?
cool story, bro

Offline Momoko_Fan

• jME3 lead developer
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 12:57:42 »
Funny thing is that over at jME3 we were having this issue for months. Will be interesting to see where this goes ..

Offline kappa

Re: [BUG] Keyboard does not respond on Linux
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 14:18:31 »
This seems like a serious issue, so many people have reported it, however the problem had only happened to a random few with no clear pattern as to the issue/cause, especially as it was not reproducible by any of the LWJGL devs.

After discussing this issue on irc, our resident genius MatthiasM had the theory that it might be ibus that causes this problem.

Funny thing is that over at jME3 we were having this issue for months. Will be interesting to see where this goes ..
Interestingly after some googling, there was a possible solution/cause found on the jMonkeyEngine forum here :)

I reckon the next move should be to try to get ibus to work with LWJGL instead of disabling it. Any idea's on how to proceed or support ibus?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 14:26:30 by kappa »

Offline kappa

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 14:55:16 »
The page here seems to suggest that only old x applications should need to add the environment variable, could it be that we're using some old (outdated) method in X to read input?

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2011, 19:46:50 »
This seems like a serious issue, so many people have reported it, however the problem had only happened to a random few with no clear pattern as to the issue/cause, especially as it was not reproducible by any of the LWJGL devs.

After discussing this issue on irc, our resident genius MatthiasM had the theory that it might be ibus that causes this problem.

Interestingly after some googling, there was a possible solution/cause found on the jMonkeyEngine forum here :)

I reckon the next move should be to try to get ibus to work with LWJGL instead of disabling it. Any idea's on how to proceed or support ibus?

I think you're right.  I was able to reproduce this (but without any errors) by installing iBus.  It's an indicator on my gnome-applets; I installed Japanese on it.  Even with it set to English, LWJGL refuses to get any input at all.  However, my applets get input (which are contained in a Canvas).

Note:  mouse has no problems.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 19:49:50 by jediTofu »
cool story, bro

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2011, 23:47:47 »
Aha I came across this with out games too. I solved it with just XMODIFIERS= java .... as my commandline (ie. XMODIFIERS is cleared completely, didn't even use @im=none but whether I'm right or not who knows...).

Cas :)

Offline kappa

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 19:50:58 »
A fix for this issue has been applied (should be in next nightly build). If someone suffering from this issue can confirm that it now works it would be nice.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 19:59:06 by kappa »

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2011, 02:43:35 »
Aha I came across this with out games too. I solved it with just XMODIFIERS= java .... as my commandline (ie. XMODIFIERS is cleared completely, didn't even use @im=none but whether I'm right or not who knows...).

Cas :)

Thanks for that! I completely forgot about that iBus issue.

However, I haven't been able to get resizable windows to work. I'll probably just leave that, as it isn't that important right now.

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2011, 03:24:56 »
A fix for this issue has been applied (should be in next nightly build). If someone suffering from this issue can confirm that it now works it would be nice.

Thanks

Works now for me :).
Used the exact same code that didn't work and just replaced with nightly build jar's/so's for compiling/running.
Thanks.
cool story, bro

Offline kappa

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2011, 09:35:06 »
However, I haven't been able to get resizable windows to work. I'll probably just leave that, as it isn't that important right now.
Thats because the resizable window stuff isn't implemented for linux yet (it is for windows and mac).

Works now for me :).
Used the exact same code that didn't work and just replaced with nightly build jar's/so's for compiling/running.
Thanks.
ah thats great, thx for testing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:37:49 by kappa »