Mandrake Linux 9.2 - OpenAL Fails

Started by psiegel, December 12, 2003, 19:23:57

Previous topic - Next topic

psiegel

I've got a machine that dual-boots Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 9.2.  Everything works great in Windows.  Not so in linux.

I tried running the OpenALCreationTest example, and here's what I get:

initialize...success
Playing 'Footsteps.wav' for 2 seconds...done (though no sound actually plays)
shutdown...

And then I hang.  Seems to just never return from the call to AL.destroy().

Paul

BTW - This is with LWJGL 0.8.

Matzon

If possible, could you try to get a copy from the OpenAL cvs, and test that? (www.openal.org)

psiegel

Ok, not much experience with OpenAL here, but I did download the source from cvs, built it, and ran some of the included tests.  Some of them definately made sounds play.  Are there any specific tests you wanted me to run?

Paul

elias

It think Matzon wants you to replace LWJGL libopenal.so with the .so build from OpenAL CVS. And then rerun the LWJGL OAL tests of course.

- elias

psiegel

Very strange findings.

After doing 'make install' in the openal source, I had a bunch of openal related .so files in /usr/local/lib.  So I figured I would just go and try LWJGL OpenAL tests again figuring the openal libs would be loaded from /usr/local/lib before anything in my -Djava.library.path setting.  Sure enough, this worked.

I then moved all the OpenAL libs from /usr/local/lib into ~/temp, just to make sure this was really the problem.  However, running the LWJGL OpenAL tests still work!  Huh?

Anyway, I'm curious if it's your opinion that this is a general problem with the libs in LWJGL or just a configuration problem on my own machine.  I'm more worried here about redistribution than getting everything to work just right on my own machine.  Of course, having everything suddenly miraculously work, even after moving the OpenAL libs into a crap directory might make all this moot.

Paul

elias

If I remember correctly, the current dir is searched first for libopenal.so and then the global lib search path. Maybe you should locate all libopenal.* files on your system and move them out of the way to be really sure. I'm glad it worked, one way or the other.

- elias