Runtime native extraction fails on 64bit linux

Started by Orangy Tang, December 03, 2010, 00:27:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangy Tang

I have a user on 64bit linux reporting the following exception on startup:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /home/minecraft/.tectonicus/native/liblwjgl.so: /home/minecraft/.tectonicus/native/liblwjgl.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32 (Possible cause: architecture word width mismatch)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1803)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1699)
        at java.lang.Runtime.load0(Runtime.java:770)
        at java.lang.System.load(System.java:1003)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys$1.run(Sys.java:70)
        at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.doLoadLibrary(Sys.java:66)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.loadLibrary(Sys.java:82)
        at org.lwjgl.Sys.<clinit>(Sys.java:99)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.<clinit>(Display.java:130)

What I do is ship the native files dll/so/etc. inside my jar, and then extract them to a temporary directory at startup, then set the system property. All this happens before any LWJGL calls.

private void unpackLwjgl()
	{
		String[] files =
		{
			"jinput-dx8_64.dll",
			"jinput-dx8.dll",
			"jinput-raw_64.dll",
			"jinput-raw.dll",
			"libjinput-linux.so",
			"libjinput-linux64.so",
			"libjinput-osx.jnilib",
			"liblwjgl.jnilib",
			"liblwjgl.so",
			"liblwjgl64.so",
			"libopenal.so",
			"libopenal64.so",
			"lwjgl.dll",
			"lwjgl64.dll",
			"openal.dylib",
			"OpenAL32.dll",
			"OpenAL64.dll"
		};

File cacheDir = new File(System.getProperty("user.home"), ".tectonicus/native");
		cacheDir.mkdirs();
		for (String f : files)
		{
			File outFile = new File(cacheDir, f);
			FileUtils.extractResource("Native/"+f, outFile);
		}

String nativePath = cacheDir.getAbsolutePath();
		System.setProperty("org.lwjgl.librarypath", nativePath);
		System.setProperty("net.java.games.input.librarypath", nativePath);
	}

This works on OSX, WinXp, Win7 (personally tested) and I believe on 32bit linux,  but not on 64bit linux. It looks like it's trying to use the non-64bit native library.

I'm not sure what would cause this behaviour - is there another step I'm missing? Alternatively, does anyone know how I can get more information on exactly what might be going wrong?

Thanks.

kappa

which version of LWJGL are you using? I remember this was a bug on the early 2.x releases but was fixed in a subsequent LWJGL release.

Matthias

This is the error for which I wrote that RFE :) While the original reporter still has not tested it.

Orangy Tang

That does sound like my issue (running headless on ubuntu 64bit).

I don't have a linux box handy - if you could provide me with a binary build I could get my user to test it and report back? That would be greatly appreciated.

Matthias

Quote from: Orangy Tang on December 03, 2010, 01:34:07
I don't have a linux box handy - if you could provide me with a binary build I could get my user to test it and report back? That would be greatly appreciated.

I send you the link to the lwjgl.jar via PM. It is a patch LWJGL 2.6

Orangy Tang

Hmm, no dice. It now fails with this exception:

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: X Error - disp: 0x7f65b01dce10 serial: 58 error: BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation) request_code: 155 minor_code: 179
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.LinuxDisplay.globalErrorHandler(LinuxDisplay.java:277)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.nglGetError(Native Method)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glGetError(GL11.java:1280)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:57)

However I don't know if that's a related error or a new one. Is there anything else I can try? (note this happens after pbuffer creation, so it's getting past that point at least).

jediTofu

Just for testing purposes, you could try having your "String[] files" array only contain the 64-bit linux versions, and try using both your original lwjgl.jar and the one by Matthias.

What is the code at the "BadRequest" line?
cool story, bro

Orangy Tang

Quote from: jediTofu on December 03, 2010, 20:44:59
Just for testing purposes, you could try having your "String[] files" array only contain the 64-bit linux versions, and try using both your original lwjgl.jar and the one by Matthias.

What is the code at the "BadRequest" line?
I think it's finding the right version now (since it's not complaining about the architecture version mismatch), but I'm not sure what this new error is.

The calling code is actually a direct call to checkGLError, just after I've done some vertex array setup. Since it happens on the first frame, i suspect it's the first time checkGlError is being called after Pbuffer.makeCurrent().

Some googling suggests that 'request code 155' might be a X11 code for 'bad gl context', but I don't know what the second code is, nor why I'm getting 'bad gl context' after seemingly creating a pbuffer without a problem.

Hopefully someone more familiar with X and linux can give me some pointers.

jediTofu

Is there a way I can try the actual program?

I finally got around to testing LWJGL on Linux Mint 64-bit (Ubuntu Based).  I did all of the LWJGL demos, and they worked fine.
cool story, bro

Orangy Tang

Quote from: jediTofu on December 12, 2010, 09:00:50
Is there a way I can try the actual program?

I finally got around to testing LWJGL on Linux Mint 64-bit (Ubuntu Based).  I did all of the LWJGL demos, and they worked fine.
Sure, you can download it from the first post in this thread: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=95739

Also contains an ever growing number of people on linux having display exceptions too. :(

jediTofu

It worked for me; there's probably more that I need to do though or something.

Info:

java -version output:
java version "1.6.0_20"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

uname -a output:
Linux mint 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:32:27 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Here's what I did:

I used MCmapper to create a level for me (i.e., level.dat).

Then I played Single Player in order to get minecraft.jar.
Then I searched my file system for it and ran this command after I found it:

java -jar Tectonicus.jar minecraftJar=/tmp/www.minecraft.net/Minecraft/minecraft.jar  worldDir=./world outputDir=./map numSamples=0
cool story, bro

Orangy Tang

Well I'm glad it's not totally buggered on linux - I've got the usual problem that I'm only really hearing a lot of noise from people who it doesn't work for, so it's nice to see a report of it working cleanly.

I'll admit to feeling a little lost, especially on reports like this one: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=95739&start=210#p1532749

jediTofu

Quote from: Orangy Tang on December 12, 2010, 22:45:51
Well I'm glad it's not totally buggered on linux - I've got the usual problem that I'm only really hearing a lot of noise from people who it doesn't work for, so it's nice to see a report of it working cleanly.

I'll admit to feeling a little lost, especially on reports like this one: http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=95739&start=210#p1532749

Hmmm, ok, have you had them try using sudo?

sudo java -jar Tectonicus.jar ...

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to modify Sys.java to have 'System.loadLibrary("awt");' like the bug link you posted in your other thread, which would make this an actual bug.

Out of curiosity, the patched lwjgl Matthias did work for the original problem?  I guess that means that patch needs to be added in the main version as well.
cool story, bro

Orangy Tang

1. Matthias's jar patch does solve the original problem for some people, yes. So that definitely needs to go in.

2. I'll ask them about sudo.

3. I've already manually added a Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit() (supposed to be more effective than System.loadLibrary("awt") since it copes better with headless environments), but that didn't help. :(

Orangy Tang

Further info:

Quotesudo didn't help.

It is a headless 32-bit Linux Amazon EC2 instance

http://aws.amazon.com/free/

Which is interesting, since I assumed it was a 64bit issue.