Hello Guest

Tutorial: Setting up Shaders in LWJGL

• 11 Replies

Offline ste3e

Tutorial: Setting up Shaders in LWJGL
« on: November 11, 2010, 13:46:47 »
It has been frustrating trying to figure out how to setup shaders in LWJGL so:

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9hhZie2D-fEYjZmYWI1ODQtNGRlYi00MWU4LTlkMTAtZjFlN2E3MjQwN2Zj&hl=en

Offline kappa

Re: Tutorial: Setting up Shaders in LWJGL
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 13:53:19 »
oh nice, very good tutorial.

Do consider adding it to the LWJGL wiki so it will help others and be easy to find.

Offline spasi

• WebHotelier
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 14:48:41 »
May I ask what's wrong with the shader examples in LWJGL's test package? Do people have trouble finding those or understanding how they work?

Offline kappa

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 14:55:52 »
May I ask what's wrong with the shader examples in LWJGL's test package? Do people have trouble finding those or understanding how they work?

Visibility is a definite problem with them, they are tucked away in some source directory that most users wouldn't look in and there isn't much information or links anywhere pointing to them.

Some improvements that could be made to make them more visible is have a working demo at http://lwjgl.org/demos.php which is a good starting place for most newbies. Secondly a simple intro page to the code on the wiki would also help people looking for information on using shaders (even better a little run through on what each part of the code does).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 14:57:57 by kappa »

Offline ste3e

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 03:37:49 »
I agree with Kappa. I have been looking and asking for any working examples using shaders for several days. I still have no idea where this test suite is and that is after just having searched for it. As for sticking the tutorial on the WIKI, I would if someone would explain what is required.

Offline Matzon

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 06:41:56 »
go to http://lwjgl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page
create an account
"In the search box near the top right of a page, type the title of the new article, then click Go. If the Search page reports "You may create the page" followed by the article name in red, then you can click the red article name to start editing the article."

Offline ste3e

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:06:45 »
Thanks Matzon. I also posted a tutorial on getting models out of Blender 2.5 and into LWJGL.

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:48 »
I dislike external links in the wiki.
I would like to see all tutorial writers to add their complete tutorial inside the wiki with the legal notice of its origin.

@Kappa: We could post the complete examples on the wiki and additional your idea with the demo page for their execution. Guess that would be a good combination. Seeing the example run and looking at the code ;)

//edit: Added the examples (Game and Spaceinvaders) from the source archive as plain sites.
The Copyright notice in the source might need an update ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 13:22:18 by Evil-Devil »

Offline kappa

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 14:25:16 »
I dislike external links in the wiki.
I would like to see all tutorial writers to add their complete tutorial inside the wiki with the legal notice of its origin.
Agreed, would also keep the wiki more consistent and manageable.

@ste3e if you don't mind, I can copy, paste the contents of your articles and format it nicely so it fits into the wiki, of course will keep the article credited to you and link to the originals.

@Kappa: We could post the complete examples on the wiki and additional your idea with the demo page for their execution. Guess that would be a good combination. Seeing the example run and looking at the code ;)
yeh, the tests for shaders are already in the svn repository, so guess its just a matter of adding the links to the http://lwjgl.org/demos.php page and creating a jnlp file.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 14:28:42 by kappa »

Offline ste3e

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 18:17:44 »
I did wonder as external links do somewhat defeat the thinking behind wiki. My problem was twofold: the time required to translate what I had done onto the wiki page, specifically given the use I make of images; second, the lack of formatting which leads me to believe I could never make an article I could be happy with. Would it be possible to allow html uploads with external links to images then contributors could simply create an html page and upload the source?

You have my permission to copy/paste. 

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 19:04:20 »
It is possible to format wiki pages to. Paragraphs, code blocks and images can be placed. Its much simpler than it may look at first.

Offline kappa

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 20:38:20 »
I did wonder as external links do somewhat defeat the thinking behind wiki. My problem was twofold: the time required to translate what I had done onto the wiki page, specifically given the use I make of images; second, the lack of formatting which leads me to believe I could never make an article I could be happy with. Would it be possible to allow html uploads with external links to images then contributors could simply create an html page and upload the source?

You have my permission to copy/paste. 

thx, have added the shader tutorial.

However Blender Tutorial is way too long for me :)