Some sort problem with lwjgl & matrox card

Started by Big_Bluey, November 23, 2003, 12:10:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Big_Bluey

I'm currently playing with jME and Spaghetti with win2000 professional & a matrox G400 dualhead graphics card (but not with 2 monitors).  I've transfered all my files from a machine with WIN98SE & an ATI card to this setup.

My files compile fine but when I come to run them nothing much happens - a DOS window flashes up & then disappears as a result of running my batch file. :(

When I run Alien Flux demo it tells me my card is not OpenGL compatable or my drivers are not up to date.  The OpenGL version of Java 3D 1.3.1 works fine, so I think I have a problem with lwjgl.  I've tried every possible driver from driverguide.com & the matrox support site & this still keeps happening.  :?

I've never installed Win2000 myself before, am I doing something stupid or am I persisting with a card which is a waste of time?

elias

What version of LWJGL are you using? only the recent ones fixed the bug that made matrox cards fail.

- elias

Big_Bluey

ah-ha!

I'm using version 0.7, I was about to swap to 0.8, but wanted to do 1 or 2 things with jME 0.1.2 which uses 0.7.

I guess it would be a good idea to do that now, & abandon my 0.7 stuff?

I think mojo's new jME 0.2 I think is using 0.8 now.  

elias

There was an unofficial 0.71 or something that included the matrox fix. But the first proper release is 0.8, as far as I remember. Also 0.8 is not much different from 0.7, API wise.

- elias

Big_Bluey

OK I think as long as 0.8 has the fix I'll update everything.  

Thanks again. :)

Big_Bluey

I've just had the chance to set up lwjgl with my matrox card & still no joy.

I tried one of the tests and got:
C:\lwjgl-0.8>java -cp . 
;lwjgl_test.jar;lwjgl.jar; org.lwjgl.test.opengl.Game 
Setting display mode to 640 x 480 x 16 @60Hz 
Created display. 
Failed to create OpenGL due to java.lang.Exception: Mode not supported by hardware

I've tried changing the display mode & no luck :(

elias

Exactly what Matrox card do you have? I might simply be too old for OpenGL.

- elias

Big_Bluey

It is a matrox G400 dualhead.  I'll check the exact spec. in the morning.

I haven't installed the option in my driver set up for 2 monitors & the second port doesn't do anything at the moment so it should really read as a normal 1 monitor card.

I think it's about 4yrs old, the machine it orginally came with was a Win98SE machine, but I've put Win2000 pro on it.

princec

Same card as my dad, and AF runs just fine on it.

Cas :)

Big_Bluey

Slight correction its a Matrox Millennium G400 Dualhead.

I've just tried Java 3D OpenGL edition, jPCT & even the GL4Java demos & these work fine.

These are the specific drivers I have tried so far from matrox.com/driverguide.com:

2kxp_5910008.zip
w2k_582.zip
w2k_586.zip
matrox2k.exe
w2k504.exe & earlier versions
G400AGP2000.exe

I'm currently running the w2k504.exe driver as it was the last one I tried.

Alien flux just tells me I need a OpenGL card or OpenGL drivers & as far as I can see I have.

princec

Big_Bluey

princec

Ohhhhh, oooollllddd version! Grab the latest 1.4i, which works :D

Big_Bluey

Ohhh no it doesn't on a Matrox G400 dualhead!!! (sorry, it's that time of year) :)

I've just just installed 1.4i & I get the same stuff coming up. :(

princec

You're quite sure you've got the latest drivers for it? It definitely works on G200s and upwards now - I've got the logs to prove it ;)

Actually you could do me a favour - go and look in your registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\xap and tell me your installation number. I'll have a look at my server logs and see what it's reported back.

Oh and by the way - yes, Matrox cards are a total waste of time and space. Any Nvidia card is better. A second hand TNT for £5 is a better card than any Matrox card. They're just awful.