GL/AL additions & fixes

Started by spasi, November 25, 2003, 21:56:59

Previous topic - Next topic

spasi

Hey guys, who's up to some extension work? :D OK, here's what needs to be added:

- NV_fragment_program (the ARB one runs horribly on my 5900...)
- NV_vertex_program1_1
- NV_vertex_program2
- NV_float_buffer
- NV_half_float

I've also noticed a STENCIL_OP_SEPARATE_FACE_ATI enable in ATI_separate_stencil extension (last row of the specification). This token is not defined in that document (so it's not in LWJGL too) and I haven't managed to find an example, anywhere. Right now I've implemented my stencil shadows rendering for ATIs (using the extension), but I haven't had the chance to test it, so I don't know if a glEnable is required. Although I've read in a paper about it (it compared ATI_separate_stencil with EXT_stencil_two_side and mentioned this difference. The EXT one doesn't need an enable). Does anyone know any details? Maybe any of you lucky Radeon 9500+ owners has the time for a little test? :wink:

Now, for OpenAL...there's much to be done here. There are many extensions (see openal.org) waiting to be added. Especially that EXT_vorbis is absolutely something that needs to make it into LWJGL! Soon to be supported in all three major platforms! As for bugs, the Listener AL_ORIENTATION problem mentioned some time ago (needs 6 parameters), hasn't been fixed yet.

I think that some work on supporting many extensions is necessary for LWJGL to attract as many new developers as it can. Impressive features always bring more people. Now, how about adding GLSlang support... 8)

Or maybe I should just shut up and contribute to the library. What do you guys think? I could add all of these in less than a week...

princec

I think you'd be a great addition :) Even if you only add a few bits to the LWJGL, every little bit helps! Have you got a sourceforge user id?

Cas :)

spasi

Thanks. I'll be glad to help!

Nope, I don't have a sourceforge id...OK, done it.

Now I'd like some info about Sourceforge. I have never used it before. That's all I need and I'm ready to go!

princec

Well, firstly you'll need to tell me your user id (might be spasi but I can't be sure until you confirm that ;) and I can add you as a developer to the project.

Are you familiar with CVS?

spasi

Yes, the user id is spasi.

I've used CVS some time ago, but not that much. Well, I could use a good CVS client recommendation and some basic instructions...

Matzon

Well, you really shouldn't even think about SourceForge - the only important part, is that you need to handle CVS - which is dead easy with the pleathora of frontends available.

If you want to join in, just post your SourceForge id, and I'll add you - any help is appreciated. Especially regarding OAL, since I won't have enought time until ~ Christmas (!).

Matzon

doh, this one seems lively!

Matzon

Search for
WinCVS
TurtoiseCVS

or use your favorite IDE

princec

You'd better get a thorough understanding of CVS before you go diving in and buggering things up!

Are you using Eclipse? The CVS client in Eclipse is pretty intuitive.

Matzon

http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=58488 <-- cvs info

QuoteYou'd better get a thorough understanding of CVS before you go diving in and buggering things up!
haha - some of us remember an incident in cvs  :twisted:  :twisted:

hint (log message):
QuoteWhooooops!

spasi

Quote from: "Matzon"haha - some of us remember an incident in cvs  :twisted:  :twisted:

Naughty princec! :lol:

OK, I'm downloading WinCVS. I'll just go through the CVS details...I promise, I'll be careful!

cfmdobbie

Quote from: "Matzon"http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=58488 <-- cvs info

QuoteYou'd better get a thorough understanding of CVS before you go diving in and buggering things up!
haha - some of us remember an incident in cvs  :twisted:  :twisted:

hint (log message):
QuoteWhooooops!

"Somebody" mentioned that was a bug in Eclipse...? :roll:
ellomynameis Charlie Dobbie.

Matzon

Quote"Somebody" mentioned that was a bug in Eclipse...?
Mmm - ofcourse  :roll:

nah, just kidding - the incident did occur because eclipse snafu'ed (by placing CVS folders in /bin, which when deleted goes off and removes the content specified by the CVS folders).

Having worked with Eclipse for some time now - both on and off work, I can easily say that I cannot use CVS properly, without also using WinCVS.

I use updates and commits in Eclipse - but anything else, particularly deletion, I use WinCVS for. I have just had too many weird experiences with Eclipse's CVS module that I don't trust it 100%.

elias

Wouldn't it be a good idea to split up the extensions from GL.java to specific classes before we add too many new ones?

- elias

princec

Good old Eclipse and all it's delete-everything-silently-bugs. Of which there are surprisingly many :/

Yes, it might be a good idea to start on splitting the GL class up now rather than later.