Hello Guest

Resolution Performance Issues (Mac OS X)

• 2 Replies
Resolution Performance Issues (Mac OS X)
« on: March 04, 2010, 20:03:58 »
Hi,

I just created an empty window with FPS displayed and noticed some impact the resolution has on FPS. Here some stats:

640x480:   3100 FPS
800x500:   2400 FPS
800x600:   700 FPS  <- wtf?...
1024x768:  290 FPS   <- WTF!?   ??? :P

After playing around a bit I moved the 800x600 window by grabbing the title bar and suddenly the FPS jumped to 1800, which is more the way I expect it to be. Unfortunately the 1024x768 window stays with 290 FPS max.

In fullscreen mode everything runs fine at full speed.

So, why do I need to move the window in order to make it run as fast as possible? And what's up with the 1024x768 window?

I'm running Mac OS X Snow Leopard. I already experienced this behavior when playing Altitude (also uses LWJGL).

Thank you very much in advance!

xindon

Re: Resolution Performance Issues (Mac OS X)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 20:27:55 »
Oh dear!
I think I figured it out: it depends on the location of the window on the screen. When the window gets close to the Dock it gets mirrored slightly transparent (visual OS feature) and thus the performance drop.

Well, good to know and so obvious.. :D

Re: Resolution Performance Issues (Mac OS X)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 13:26:39 »
Oh dear!
I think I figured it out: it depends on the location of the window on the screen. When the window gets close to the Dock it gets mirrored slightly transparent (visual OS feature) and thus the performance drop.

Well, good to know and so obvious.. :D
I remember tracking down the same issue on Windows 7. Turned out to be the stupid Windows 7 start orb that was overlapping the window. ::)
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D