Hello Guest

"Minimize Window" Feature Problem

• 1 Replies
"Minimize Window" Feature Problem
« on: July 12, 2009, 04:09:32 »
I would like to first mention that LWJGL has been an excellent tool for rendering with OpenGL.  I recently tried the the LWJGL 2.2 release from SVN with my projects.  I believe I had the benefit of about a 5% increase in performance.  I followed later with an update for my computer's most recently available video drivers with no noticeable changes.

I notice that renderings from LWJGL in a sort of "windowed mode" seem to cause a conflict when pressing the "Minimize Window" button in an Ubuntu Linux environment.  It doesn't break anything, but it does cause the entire system to stutter for some reason.  This includes video, sound, and also network connections to a much lesser extent.  I have circumvented the issue so far by just simply closing the window between code edits or by clicking on a different window with my mouse cursor.  (Yes, I love "minimizing.")

I figure an alternate solution might include placing a minimize feature somehow in a full-screen application.  Xith test cases have access to "Close Window" and "Minimize Window" disabled, and instead, the "Escape" key must be pressed twice in a row for purposes of exiting the software.

From what I can tell, the buttons in the top right of a rendered window depend on the operating system.  Going full-screen might at least disable the visuals for the buttons.  So here is my main question then:  Does LWJGL have a function that provides access to that through Java?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 04:11:37 by shatterblast »

Re: "Minimize Window" Feature Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 07:21:43 »
Update:

I performed a comparison test between the AWTGears.java and Gears.java files.  The AWT implementation in my Ubuntu Linux environment seems to have a 10% or less measure of difference below the other way doing things.

I guess it just confirms that the below line seems better at the moment for performance.

Code: [Select]
import org.lwjgl.opengl.Display;
I figured I would test the Minimize buttons while trying the various class files.  Of course, I had no problems regardless of how keyboard and mouse inputs were treated.  I came back to the FengGUI side of things just to test the bindings and inputs.  To my surprise, I discovered AWT governing the inputs.  With it disabled, I had no problems.

Point of interest:  AWT input does not mix well for some reason with a non-AWT implementation in Linux.  At least for me, that is.  Now I can continue with JInput or whatever else comes up as a replacement.