Full Screen with Vista

Started by broumbroum, July 14, 2009, 14:18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

broumbroum

HI all !
What about full screen under Win Vista and LWJGL, I can't manage to get contents appear. It turns up in a black screen, where it is ok with XP, OS X and Linux.
Plz, Does anyone get the full screen in GL hardware working with Vista (I use nVidia Ge6250)?
Here's the  "demo3xtended"
(I know about the scrappy logos with some XP, it's about png interleave anyhow).

princec

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.jiga.xtended.ui.JFCApplet
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: open HTTP connection failed:http://sf3jswing.sourceforge.net/net/sf/jiga/xtended/ui/JFCApplet.class
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.getBytes(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
	at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
	... 7 more
Exception: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: net.sf.jiga.xtended.ui.JFCApplet

Fullscreen works fine on Vista here with my games. Do Puppygames fullscreen work ok on your box?

Cas :)

broumbroum

thank you ! Just updated with a new kernel : http://sf3jswing.sourceforge.net/api/JIGAXtended-Windows%20Vista-x86.html
and The game alpha-release : http://sf3jswing.sourceforge.net/sf3JSwing_Ant-Windows%20Vista-x86.html
which e.g. the full screen here works, at least in Java2D mode. When in GL mode--but wait till I provide a sample fighter-character because it's only in battle that's using LWJGL--Vista shows only a black screen. 8)

broumbroum

And not to make advertising : only Safari does use extensions paths on Vista for applets (I use them...). Firefox and IE don't. Haven't tried Opera yet. :-[

shatterblast

I thought JNLP (Java Web-Start) gave more trouble than applets in building the software, but that it gave more system access.  I think that would translate to easier access to a full-screen display.  I'm still working with executable jars though.  Just out of curiosity, what are the advantages of applets over JNLP?  ...Besides less bugs?

Quote from: broumbroum on July 18, 2009, 22:32:52
And not to make advertising : only Safari does use extensions paths on Vista for applets (I use them...). Firefox and IE don't. Haven't tried Opera yet. :-[

I imagine it doesn't since Safari is an Apple product.  I don't want to lead onto a bad search, but I think JavaScript potentially allows integration with extensions?

broumbroum

As a matter of fact extensions loading (Extension-Name: http:...) worked with XP but as Vista was released, security issues were stated and VIsta added filepermissions which changed accessibility of lib/ext folders.
Now Safari added a support for a VirtualStore/...jre6/lib/ext folder which allows classic Extensions install and loading from bootstrap. Now that we have the Java New Plugin (plugin2), it's possible to load applet over jnlp ref and that's what is gonna be the tip for loading applets and their extensions. Even Javascript (as LWJGL AppletLoader) can be replaced with those capabilities.
JNLP is now replacing the standard applet mechanism, although installing over Vista is permitted only in the user.home folder. ::)

I think about if a privileged access is required to get in full-screen..

shatterblast

Quote from: broumbroum on July 19, 2009, 15:38:15
As a matter of fact extensions loading (Extension-Name: http:...) worked with XP but as Vista was released, security issues were stated and VIsta added filepermissions which changed accessibility of lib/ext folders.
Now Safari added a support for a VirtualStore/...jre6/lib/ext folder which allows classic Extensions install and loading from bootstrap. Now that we have the Java New Plugin (plugin2), it's possible to load applet over jnlp ref and that's what is gonna be the tip for loading applets and their extensions. Even Javascript (as LWJGL AppletLoader) can be replaced with those capabilities.

I think I read an official statement from Sun regarding the recent release of version 14 for Java 6 a month ago.  It basically confirmed the transition from applets to JNLP, yet in my opinion, I think that the applet technology may flow more into cell phones.

JNLP is now replacing the standard applet mechanism, although installing over Vista is permitted only in the user.home folder. ::)

The same behavior relates to my Ubuntu Linux install.  I believe that an optional update from Microsoft can cause Windows XP to act accordingly, and if not, I may have read too much on FUSE as a file system replacement for both Linux and Windows.

I think about if a privileged access is required to get in full-screen..

From what I understand, it can work on existing environments as long as files remain signed for either applets or JNLP.  I imagine that a script can be setup so that on a computer's boot time, the necessary files would become signed automatically through Ant or whatever.  (I forget if that requires a password.  If so, bad idea on my part.)

I tried the SF3JSwing in both Linux and Windows XP.  The "Vista" version seemed to load fine in Firefox in XP.  The Linux version downloaded the natives and dependencies into my home folder, but it refused to start.  It didn't seem to embed correctly into Firefox 3.0 for some reason in Linux.  Otherwise, it appeared to retrieve all the files correctly.

broumbroum

Thank you alot for these reviews !
Yet, I've been largely considering PLugin2 impl. for PC and that looks much better. It turns out that native libraries must be packed in a .jar in the / root, that's why if you have another try today it will fail until I update the JIGA..-ext-native...jar .

shatterblast

I would agree with that.  I have no desire to share my computer's root access.   :P