Hello Guest

Application crash when using VBO

• 1 Replies
Application crash when using VBO
« on: March 03, 2009, 19:27:30 »
Hi !

I try to use the VBOs in order to render a model but my application crash when I call glDrawRangeElements.

I have a "ObjectGL" class which can contain several "Materials" objects (which are polygons with specific materials datas).

Firstly, I generate the VBO id for each Materials (they are stored in the ArrayList "mats") :
Code: [Select]
public void genVBOS() throws IOException{
if(GLContext.getCapabilities().GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object){
for (int i = 0; i < mats.size(); i+=2) { //One for datas, one for indices
IntBuffer vbo = BufferUtils.createIntBuffer(2);
ARBVertexBufferObject.glGenBuffersARB(vbo);
ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vbo.get(i));
ARBVertexBufferObject.glBufferDataARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vvtvn, ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_STATIC_DRAW_ARB); //vvtvn is an interleaved array of vertices, tex coords and normals

ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vbo.get(i+1));
ARBVertexBufferObject.glBufferDataARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, mats.get(i).getIndices(), ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB);

mats.get(i).setVbo(vbo);
}
}

And after I call the ObjectGL.draw function :

Code: [Select]
public void draw(){
for (int i = 0; i < mats.size(); i++) {
int stride = (3+2+3)*4;                       // Order : Vertices, Tex Coords, Normals
ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, mats.get(i).getVbo().get(0));    //The first ID contain the datas
GL11.glEnableClientState(GL11.GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
int offset = 0;
GL11.glVertexPointer(3, GL11.GL_FLOAT, stride, offset);

if(normals){
GL11.glEnableClientState(GL11.GL_NORMAL_ARRAY);
offset = 2 * 4;
GL11.glTexCoordPointer(2, GL11.GL_FLOAT, stride, offset);
}
if(text){
GL11.glEnableClientState(GL11.GL_TEXTURE_COORD_ARRAY);
offset = (3 + 2) * 4;
GL11.glNormalPointer(GL11.GL_FLOAT, stride, offset);
}

ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, mats.get(i).getVbo().get(1));
GL12.glDrawRangeElements(GL11.GL_TRIANGLES, 0, mats.get(i).getIndices().capacity(), mats.get(i).getIndices().capacity(), GL11.GL_UNSIGNED_INT, 0);    //At this point the application crashes
}

}

I read some tutorials (including LWJGL documentation) about VBO but I guess something is wrong in my code  :'(

Do you have any idea ?
Thanks for your help  ;)

Kai

Re: Application crash when using VBO
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 15:21:00 »
Hi,

it seems that you are running out of index range in genVBOS() when doing
ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vbo.get(i));
and
ARBVertexBufferObject.glBindBufferARB(ARBVertexBufferObject.GL_ELEMENT_ARRAY_BUFFER_ARB, vbo.get(i+1));
because the counter i is not guaranteed to be always in [0, 1], which is required, because the vbo names you are allocating are only 2 in size.

I guess you might use 0 as index for the first vbo.get() and 1 for the second one.