A game using LWJGL released

Started by mrgibson, February 24, 2009, 04:21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

mrgibson

I just released a small game made using LWJGL + JBOX2D

www.mrgtech.ca/crazynoid

I am curious about how well the game perform on different hardware, feel free to give me feedback

Yanick Bourbeau
ybourbeau@mrgtech.ca

julien.1486

Hello !

I've just tried your game. I'm using a laptop (Core 2 Duo T5550, 4 Go Ram, Geforce 7900) and it works fine, and it's fun (the balls are fun ^^).
But, when the ball hit an explosive bricks the animation is slower and sometimes it freezes less than one second.

Then, I think the "Main menu" button, on the screen which all levels is not at the right place. I've clicked on the first level and instinctively I've clicked on "Main menu" because generally we found a validation button at this place. I think you should put it at the center of the screen and put a "Ok" button instead, so you can start a level by double-click on it or with a simple-click and then click OK.

Is your game open source ?

Congratulations for your work !

And sorry for my poor english   :P

elias4444

I tried it on my Mac. I got the following error on launch:

19 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Game name: Crazynoid, Base path: ./
337 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Using LWJGL version: 2.0.1
619 [main] INFO ShadeBob.managers.AudioManager - Audio sub-system initialized
619 [main] INFO ShadeBob.managers.AudioManager - Using OPENAL 1.1
630 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Initializing game system ...
630 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Switch to full screen ...
797 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Using resolution: 1024x768
814 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Using multi-sampling value: 2
814 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Trying pixel format: 8,16,0,2 ...
2333 [main] WARN ShadeBob.GameSystem - No valid icon found, using LWJGL one.
2355 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Resources loaded: 0 Bytes
2355 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Loading custom fonts from resources ...
2381 [main] INFO ShadeBob.GameSystem - Font: fonts/astronaut.ttf, Name: Astronaut
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.registerFont(Ljava/awt/Font;)Z
   at ShadeBob.GameSystem.loadFonts(GameSystem.java:1080)
   at ShadeBob.GameSystem.initialize(GameSystem.java:321)
   at crazynoid.Main.main(Main.java:56)

=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

EgonOlsen

I liked it and it ran fine on my machine (Core2Quad @3Ghz, Radeon HD 4870, Vista Ultimate, Java 6). About the game itself: I appreciate that you tried to do some things a little bit different than in the standard breakout. I like that you can end the level by collecting all the stars instead of destroying all bricks. However, some levels are way to easy that way. A few more stars would help IMHO. I'm undecided about the bonus items. I'm not sure if i like the fact that they are all visible from the beginning and that i don't have to run for them, because hitting them with the ball already activates them...maybe the old fashioned way would be better...

broumbroum

Thx for this release, though I can't run it with linux : missing native libjawt.so in the package ! :)

broumbroum

By the way, you tell in the read-me you want it to be commercial, but I ask if an Applet release can be made ? I like to play arcanoid-like game and yours seems pretty, why is there no Applet demo of this game ? ;)

Ciardhubh

The game ran fine on:
Win XP sp3, Geforce 8800
Win XP sp2, Radeon X1250
Ubuntu/Linux (looked like software-mode because performance was horrible, my graphics drivers are currently broken on that computer, aside from performance everything apperead to be ok)

The star explosions seem to produce lag or their animation could be smoother. Gameplay-wise I think it should be easier to control the reflection angle of the ball. I couldn't make out a reliable way to influence the angle of reflection.