Need some help about the LWJGL Applet Loader

Started by Klems, August 29, 2011, 20:35:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Klems

Hi ! I'm french so sorry for my english :P

I really would like some help about the LWJGL Applet Loader, because it lack documentation.

Specifically, where does the applet loader download the application ?
As seen in the wiki, the "al_title" parameter control the directory name.

But where is the parent directory located ?
Is it "C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming" on Windows ? Because Minecraft, which use LWJGL, download itself in this directory.
Where is it located on Linux and Mac OS ?
Is this directory temporary ? Is it shared between users ?

What I'm trying to achieve is having an application which automatically download files (.png and .ogg, not .jar) on the client hard drive, without him having to install something in the process.

If the applet loader doesn't work that way, how can I make it work like Minecraft ?
ie How can I have a default directory ?
Like "hey OS, I'm Blahblah.jar, give me my own directory" "I remind you, it's C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\blahblah" "thanks bro".
Or maybe "I'm running in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\blahblah because that's where the LWJGL applet loader downloaded me".
You get the point.

Thanks !

kappa

Quote from: Klems on August 29, 2011, 20:35:37
But where is the parent directory located ?
lwjgl appletloader downloads to the temp directory on windows.

click run (on the start menu) and type "%temp%" (without quotes) and press enter. This will show you the directory where the lwjgl appletloader downloads the files too (named after the domain name).

Where is it located on Linux and Mac OS ?
Again stored in temp directories specifically on those two OS's its at System.getProperty("deployment.user.cachedir")

Is this directory temporary ? Is it shared between users ?
Its not shared between users, just like browser cache, cookies, etc aren't shared between users.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Klems

For the record :
System.getProperty("user.home");

Solved my other question. Very useful !

Klems

Well, I followed the tutorial here http://lwjgl.org/wiki/index.php?title=Deploying_with_the_LWJGL_Applet_Loader_-_Introduction

The AppletLoader work fine until it have to extract natives files.
It then stop, with "This occured while 'Extracting downloaded packages'".

When I look in the temp folder, the only extracted native is "OpenAL32.dll" (I'm on windows).

I signed every jar.

Does anyone have an idea ? Thanks !

kappa

you'll have to find out what the exact reason is for the appletloader stopping at that point, this will be output in the java console, do copy/paste the contents of the java console here, if you haven't already you'll have to enable the java console (from the advanced tab) from the java control panel which is in turn found in the windows control panel.

Klems

I wasn't aware about this trick. I solved the issue easily with the help of the java console.
Thanks a lot.

(the jar I was using were already signed)