Hello Guest

Loading luminance data with slick-util

• 1 Replies

Kai

Loading luminance data with slick-util
« on: July 04, 2008, 17:36:21 »
Hi folks,

I switched from 1.1.4 to 2.0 and let me say that I really appreciate all the work that the LWJGL team is doing for us developers!!!
LWJLG is WAY BETTER than jogl, well I guess that's because jogl was never meant to be a game development platform.

Anyway..., I am also a little disappointed by the fact that DevIL is missing in the new LWJGL release. The proposed "*replacement*" for it, namely slick-util, is good for really simple things, as loading a RGB or RGBA texture, but it lacks the ability to get "more control" over what is loaded and how it is loaded and image conversions.

I just wanted to load luminance data, that is, images with a depth of 8 bit, and I did not see any possible solution with slick-util. I looked deep inside it to find out, that everything will be converted to either 24 or 32 bit, even if the bitmap being loaded is actually a 8-bit image.

So, is it somehow possible to get 8-bit data out of an 8-bit image with slick-util?
If not, I shall stick with DevIL again...

Appreciate any help!

Regards,
Kai

Offline Matzon

Re: Loading luminance data with slick-util
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 18:45:17 »
technically, lwjgl-devil still works (just grab it from 1.1.4). The problem is that its a nightmare to keep all of the native parts in sync, and as such we decided to drop it.
We replaced it with Kevglass's slick-util part which solved the issue for 90% of the people. We are well aware of the fact that its not AS powerfull as devil, but it was our hope that people that needed "advanced" stuff would be able to add the missing parts (and eventually add it to slick-util). I know that this isn't the best solution, but keeping devil was also becomming more and more painfull (likewise with fmod).