Hello Guest

OSX installation

• 7 Replies
OSX installation
« on: March 19, 2009, 19:08:06 »
Ok, I got the .jar files working with NetBeans but I'm not sure what to do with the Library files (i'm a little new with Mac OSX)

Right now, the files are in this path:

/Users/John/NetBeansProjects/Libraries/lwjgl-2.0.1/native/macosx/

What do I need to be in terminal and what exactly do I need to type to get the library files installed?

Thanks a lot!!!

Offline Matzon

Re: OSX installation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 19:51:13 »
there is no installation for lwjgl. just leave them be :)

make sure you point to them using -Djava.library.path=/Users/John/NetBeansProjects/Libraries/lwjgl-2.0.1/native/macosx/ (or a relative path)

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 20:13:42 »
Thanks for trying to help me!

You mean point to that path somehow from inside NetBeans in some project settings right?

I'm actually trying to do two things before I actually have a project ready to compile :) I'm now just trying to run any game that uses this library. They keep giving errors if I try to run them in LWJGL mode. I tried putting the library files together with the game file but still doesn't work. For that matter, if I want to distribute games that use this library, what do users need to do the get them working?

I've been using GTGE to create 2D games but now I'm looking forward to using this library! :)

-Djava.library.path=/Users/John/NetBeansProjects/Libraries/lwjgl-2.0.1/native/macosx/ (or a

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 20:22:46 »
Hi,

I actually got a Hello World compiled and running. I passed that path as VM and it ran!

My other question is still there though. I don't know what to do to run other peoples games...

Offline kappa

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 22:05:36 »
btw if your coming from GTGE and want 2d games, it'd be better if you went with the library Slick http://slick.cokeandcode.com it provides one of the best 2d game api's and is built upon LWJGL.

However if you want direct low level access to OpenGL then LWJGL is for you.

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 22:32:08 »
GTGE has Add On classes to use LWJGL in 2D games.

I actually just got Slick installed and compiled a hello world program to test. I'm deciding now which way to go.

GTGE has good sprite implementation with pixel perfect collisions and other nice features that with Slick I'd have to start with scratch. On the other hand, The background class is a little too much black box for me that I'd like to have a little more control like endless scrolling...

There's a third option, JGame, I browsed the JavaDoc and the classes seem to have everything I can think of right away from stock. It implements OpenGL through another interface though. The main thing for me is that I couldn't find an active forum. I don't know how much support this framework has right now...

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 18:39:48 »
I still have a unanswered question here though...

I'm now just trying to run any game that uses this library (compiling works fine). They keep giving errors if I try to run them in LWJGL mode. I tried putting the library files together with the game file (I'm on a Mac) but still doesn't work. For that matter, if I want to distribute games with this library, what do users need to do the get them working?

Thanks

Offline Matzon

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 18:54:38 »
for an application to use LWJGL 2 things are required:
  • LWJGL class files on the classpath: -cp lwjgl.jar...
  • LWJGL native files on the library path: -Djava.library.path=native/<platform>
thats it. No installation or anything else.

If this doesn't work - please post the error.