Hello Guest

LWJGL 2.0 Beta 1 released

• 24 Replies

Offline Matzon

LWJGL 2.0 Beta 1 released
« on: April 20, 2008, 20:52:02 »
Yes, it's finally here!

This is the first beta and as such, might still have some issues. We will be working on updating the documentation/examples with some of the new features. If you want to help with the wiki, please contact me.

LWJGL 2.0 changes
Major changes
 * fmod and devil removed
 * dropped support for windows 9x
 * glu moved to lwjgl_util
 * glu now uses buffers instead of arrays
 * New Display.setParent() feature allows you to embed the Display into an existing AWT canvas.
   For example, this allows for an existing LWJGL based application to be used in an applet without porting to AWTGLCanvas.
   This means the death of AWTInputAdapter
 * Mac OS X: Added support for x86_64
 * Linux: Using openal-soft instead of the creative (was more or less broken anyway)
 * Support for lzma and pack200 in appletloader

Minor changes
 * no more processMessages at isCloseRequested, isVisible, isDirty and isActive
 * Removed 2D OpenGL initialization code from Display. It messes with the implicit, but well-defined, opengl default state and doesn't fit well with multiple context types (gl3 and d3d)
 * NV_conditional_render extension added
 * Lots of input/focus fixes

Get it here

Remember to donate ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 20:49:31 by Matzon »

Offline Matzon

Re: LWJGL 2.0 Beta 1 released
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 20:55:37 »
oh, and special thanks to kappaOne for his work on the AppletLoader - much appreciated!

Offline Matzon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 07:46:58 »
the macosx build I was provided is not beta 1, I will publish a new version later tonight (and update this thread accordingly) fixed
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 21:05:17 by Matzon »

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 08:22:16 »
Nice, dl it this evening. Just had the alpha4 for testing. Gonna try the Display.setParent() feature. Sounds neat :)

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 15:46:11 »
Keep up the good work, guys.  8)

I'm gonna try this out when I get home.
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 12:34:08 »
Woohoo!

Awesome stuff guys..going to definitely try out some of my ideas with this version!  :D

Offline kappa

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 13:12:05 »
incase you guys haven't already seen, nice demonstration of the applet stuff over at jgo http://www.javagaming.org/forums/index.php?topic=18539.0

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 14:28:56 »
*Tucks DirectX source code back into CVS*

SOLD!

*creates new repository*

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 12:30:17 »
As usual, I have also updated the Eclipse plugin. Since a plugin's version number must be numeric, I have called this version 1.9.1.
See http://www.fernuni-hagen.de/se/personen/pilgrim/gef3d/lwjgl.html for update site and more information.

BTW: I've noticed that Vectorxx.add(..) (and all the other static methods) still requires Vectorxx parameters instead of ReadableVectorxx. Do you plan to change this in the final release?

Offline Matzon

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 18:07:14 »
As usual, I have also updated the Eclipse plugin. Since a plugin's version number must be numeric, I have called this version 1.9.1.
See http://www.fernuni-hagen.de/se/personen/pilgrim/gef3d/lwjgl.html for update site and more information.
thanks

BTW: I've noticed that Vectorxx.add(..) (and all the other static methods) still requires Vectorxx parameters instead of ReadableVectorxx. Do you plan to change this in the final release?
No, there are some performance issues with accessing it interface wise.

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 21:37:38 »
Ok, my first issues :-)

Concern the Display.setParent(Canvas) way of life:

-after Display.setParent(canvas), the Canvas' AWT Event System is just stone dead. That holds even if I do not create Mouse and Keyboard, also if I explicitely invoke Mouse.destroy(), Keyboard.destroy().  Canvas.processEvents() just don't receive anything.

-with a Canvas as parent Display.swapBuffers() stalls at first OS event (eg. Click on Window). Replacing by Display.update() works. I also overriden the Canvas' paint() and update() empty to not interefere GL.

Platform: WindowsXP.

Otherwise, looks nice :-]

Offline oak

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 19:01:43 »
Are you sure that 2.0b1.zip/native/linux/libopenal.so is the openal-soft one? The one I compiled works fine with lwjgl but the bundled one is as bad on Linux as earlier releases :-)

Also you might have to enable Alsa when you compile it. At least most modern Linux distros (with sounds cards) have alsa.
ove Zig !

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 00:43:42 »
Ok... big question:

Would you consider this version safe for an official game release?

I'm just about to release my latest game, but am thinking I want to move up for the better Linux sound and the option of eventually going with an applet.

=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:24 »
I had a little trouble with it - mostly because of a broken Mac native which wasn't mentioned (bah). It seems fixed now and stable.

Cas :)

Offline Matzon

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 09:08:30 »
I had a little trouble with it - mostly because of a broken Mac native which wasn't mentioned (bah)
http://lwjgl.org/forum/index.php/topic,2607.msg14546.html#msg14546  :-*