Hello Guest

Keyboard on Win2K?

• 29 Replies
Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2003, 17:06:08 »
Thanx. I'll try it on monday, because i'm not at home during the weekend. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2003, 15:34:39 »
OK, now it's monday and i downloaded and tested the 0.71alpha dlls and they don't help  :cry:  I get the same window-bug under 2K and it doesn't work with NT4 either (same messagebox as before appears).
I tried both, the normal and the debug-dll, and i double checked that i'm indeed using the dlls from the zip but nothing has changed at all.
Are you sure that the uploaded version really is 0.71a?

Offline princec

• Puppygames
Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2003, 15:58:26 »
Check the filesizes.

Cas :)

Offline elias

• http://oddlabs.com
Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2003, 15:59:09 »
That's very weird. Are you getting the NT messagebox even when you don't change the display mode?

- elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2003, 16:05:37 »
Quote from: "princec"
Check the filesizes.
They differ from the 0.7 release...lwjgl.dll is 188KB and lwjgl_d.dll ist 656KB...but what does this tell me?

Elias: What do you mean by 'don't change display mode'? All i'm trying to do is to open a LWJGL-window and it fails with the posted message-box. Do you mean if it happens in fullscreen only? If so, then no...it happens in both, windowed and fullscreen mode.

Offline elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2003, 16:11:30 »
Hmm, that tells me that the symbol resolver won't accept undefined symbols even though we won't ever call them. That makes it a lot harder to fix.

But apart from that your w2k bug is much worse - I don't know what's causing it.

Cas: Does the build actually work for Matrox users?

- elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2003, 16:23:47 »
Quote from: "elias"
But apart from that your w2k bug is much worse - I don't know what's causing it.
Anything else i can try/do?
BTW: I tested the app on my girlfriend's machine, which uses Win2K too (basically the same setup as mine) and it worked fine using 0.7 and 0.71a (is that good or bad... :wink: ).

Offline elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2003, 16:29:49 »
That's bad - we wan't reproducible bugs :-)

We'll probably find something else for you to test - stick around.

- elias

Offline elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2003, 16:34:29 »
Do you have any PM we can contact you through?

- elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2003, 17:06:29 »
Do you have any PM we can contact you through?
I've just installed ICQ and added the number to my profile. I don't have a clue how ICQ works though... :lol:

Offline princec

• Puppygames
Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2003, 17:11:58 »
Elias, we can fix that symbol resolution problem but it means we have to call GetProcAddress or whatever it was callled and get a pointer to the function. Pain in the arse but looks like it's necessary.

It doesn't yet work for Matrox users. Don't know why yet. It works in windowed mode for Matrox users but apparently you just get a black screen in fullscreen mode and no rendering. On Leknor's box at any rate.

Offline elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2003, 17:43:34 »
Yeah, we must add some dynamic linking code to support NT. I'll probably fix it tomorrow if Egon is available. Now, the real problem is the w2k bug... where I'm standing, only a buffer overflow can overwrite the hwnd with a null value, so how does one enable a bounds checker to the build? That would probably help a lot.

In the meantime: Egon, is the bug still showing if you create the Mouse instead of the keyboard?

- elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2003, 18:00:26 »
In the meantime: Egon, is the bug still showing if you create the Mouse instead of the keyboard?
Edit: Forget about it...seems like 0.71a does indeed fixes the Win2K-problem, but somehow the app mixed the lwjgl.dll in the dll-path with the one lying around in lib/ext (i wasn't aware of it...must have placed it there while tracking the keyboard-bug some days ago and forgot to remove it). After deleting the one in "ext", it works. I don't understand that though, because it told me that it couldn't find the lwjgl.dll if i haven't set the dll-path to the correct 0.71a. But when i did, it somehow grabbed the one in "ext" too... :?:
However, seems to work fine now. Now the NT4 problem remains and i can't help you there tomorrow, because NT4 is running on my machine at work only. I can't to anything more than testing a new version during a break or so.

Edit2: Re-checked this behaviour:

0.7 in the lib-path (-Djava.library.path=lib\lwjgl-0.7\) only makes *boom*
0.7 in "lib/ext" only gives me a "where's lwjgl?"-message
0.71a in the lib-path and 0.7 in "ext" makes *boom*
0.71a in lib-path while "ext" doesn't contain any lwjgl stuff works

What i don't get is, that 0.7 in "ext" alone doesn't seem to do be recognized but in addition to the 0.71a in the lib-path, it somehow is. Then again, renaming the lwjgl_d.dll in my lib-path to lwjgl.dll gives me debug-output but still crashes. How can this be, if he grabs the dll from ext...???
Then again, i don't know much about the way Windows handles DLL-stuff...

Offline princec

• Puppygames
Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2003, 18:09:16 »
Try running that with -ea and -Xcheck:jni as well.

Offline elias

Keyboard on Win2K?
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2003, 18:44:02 »
YES! I'd hate to debug that weird bug, so thank you very much Egon. The NT fix is, as we have stated before, much easier to fix. I'll probably fix it tomorrow, and then you can verify it at your own pace.

I'm not sure about that "ext" problem though. It's a little unnerving that you can't reliably override ext libs.

- elias