Hello Guest

The Captain has abandoned ship!

• 17 Replies

Offline princec

• Puppygames
The Captain has abandoned ship!
« on: October 17, 2007, 22:42:18 »
Mark Bernard, developer working on the DirectX bindings, has had to leave the project due to time pressures.

Can anyone carry the torch? It looks like he's got quite far.

Can :)

Re: The Captain has abandoned ship!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 17:05:56 »
Mark Bernard, developer working on the DirectX bindings, has had to leave the project due to time pressures.
That's sad to hear :'(
I wish I had time to help :-\
How far did he get? Getting the display to work and most DirectX functions? (is it usable? in other words)
Can :)
Forgot how to spell your own name? ;D
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

Offline Matzon

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 17:42:40 »
He got a display up and running - and a lot of the footwork.
The major hurdle still left, is removing the code duplication and integrate the context/input stuff to work with the existing opengl code - or rewrite as appropriate.
Elias thinks that this work will greatly improve upon the work needed once ogl 3 is out.
I am still hoping for someone to pick up where he left!!

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:07:47 »
That is sad to hear.  If you guys don't mind, I'd like to take a stab at it.  I was working on another implementation of DirectX for Java and may be able to bring over what I got working.  I've looked through Captain's code and the lwjgl source, but not in great detail.  I've been a fan of this project ever since I read it here.

-gz
JNewton 0.8 - Newton Dynamics wrapper for Java!
org.lwjgl.d3d - Currently Working On

Offline Matzon

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 05:56:50 »
We would very much like for you to work on it! We have been hoping that someone would continue the effort, since a dx binding makes a lot of sense (despite its limited xplatform appeal).
I have tagged the code as lwjgl-directx as seen here: http://java-game-lib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/java-game-lib/tags/lwjgl-directx/
I dont know if you want to work in that tag or if you want to work without svn access until you have something you are comfortable with?

Please let us know either on the forum or IRC (#lwjgl on freenode) if you have any issues.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 05:58:39 by Matzon »

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 05:52:53 »
Awesome!  I think I'll use the tag as a starting point, since there is a lot more stuff done than I first thought.  Now, I just need to figure out how to build it :P.  One thing I might change is the package name from 'd3d' to 'directx', since Direct3D is not as common a slogan as DirectX, and may cause some confusion.  But, I'll let you guys know what I come up with when I come up with it.  Thanks again.

-gz

Offline elias

• http://oddlabs.com
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 09:45:31 »
Awesome!  I think I'll use the tag as a starting point, since there is a lot more stuff done than I first thought.  Now, I just need to figure out how to build it :P.  One thing I might change is the package name from 'd3d' to 'directx', since Direct3D is not as common a slogan as DirectX, and may cause some confusion.  But, I'll let you guys know what I come up with when I come up with it.  Thanks again.

-gz

I prefer "d3d" for the package name since it is technically more correct. Besides, a package name doesn't need to be used when "marketing" lwjgl, and someone might be confused if the org.lwjgl.directx package doesn't contain e.g. directdraw or directinput.

- elias

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 12:37:49 »
I agree with Elias there. We're really only looking to provide D3D, not all of DirectX.

Cas :)

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 22:46:29 »
I agree with Elias there. We're really only looking to provide D3D, not all of DirectX.

I see what your saying and you are correct.

-gz

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 01:06:23 »
Hi,

I'm new here, but I'd like to help on D3D development.
I have some experience on it, and do some regular development on Java3D d3d pipeline in both native and java sides.

I'd like to know how to engage in this project  ;)

Alessandro

Offline Matzon

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2008, 19:42:52 »
Your best bet is probably to contact gaarazero and cooperate with him.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 20:43:29 »
Your best bet is probably to contact gaarazero and cooperate with him.

Thanks, I will do that  ;)

A.

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 14:05:01 »
No  replys so far...

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 15:56:11 »
Hm... so what have we got so far and who's working on what?

Cas :)

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 20:52:01 »
Oh boy,

I know it has been some time.  When I posted that I would try and help with the D3D implementation, little did I know I would start a new job in a new city a few days later.  After relocating and getting everything settled, I thought I would still have time to work on it.  But, I was wrong.  I will try my hardest to schedule some time for this.  I am still interested in working on it.  I was also thinking of doing DirectX10 as well, but I don't have Vista on any of my computers.

I'll keep you guys updated on any progress.

-gz