Hello Guest

What model format?

• 3 Replies
What model format?
« on: September 07, 2007, 09:05:31 »
I am writing a java space game. Its essentially 2d, with an overhead view but will have some snazzy effects to show off the 3d.

I am currently using OBJ format for my planets and ships. However I want to be able to have some animations, such as;
1) standard
2) engines on low
3) engines on medium
4) engines on high
5) firing guns
6) exploding

What would people suggest I use? I have used the Milkshape format before with a c++ FPS demo I created, but was wondering if there is anything better - blender for example.
I am very un artistic, so it would be good if there were free models available in the format.

Offline kappa

Re: What model format?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 09:21:50 »
just an observation, all the above effects could be pulled off using just particles while you can continue using OBJ.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 09:26:44 »
just an observation, all the above effects could be pulled off using just particles while you can continue using OBJ.

The problem with that is all the ship models would be different, so trying to line up a particule effect with a gun turret is going to be very difficult and fiddly. That is what I am doing now though.

Offline princec

• Puppygames
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:04:31 »
A long long time ago we used a single triangle with a specific name to align other bits and bobs to. Don't know if the obj format has named parts in it though.

Cas :)