Hello Guest

OpenGL/Java Libraries

• 2 Replies

dardia

OpenGL/Java Libraries
« on: September 01, 2003, 20:12:11 »
I'm taking a computer graphics course this semester.  A large part of it is a final project.  I'd like to do this in Java, as it makes writing networking code, etc. far easier than in C/C++.  This allows me to spend more time on the graphics.

What library does everyone use to access OpenGL through Java?  Does the lightweight game library do this?  What else does that provide?  Sprites/animations/controls?

Is there a Java equivalent of GLUT?

Art

hmmmmmmm....
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 12:16:53 »
I'm surprised that no one answered this post, so I'll do it. (if dardia hasn't given up yet  :roll: )

LWJGL is (in my opinon) the best way to access OpenGL through Java.

other things LWJGL provides is access to keyboard and mouse rotines that make it easy to program games and such.  Sprites/animations/etc. can be done with LWJGL, but you have to program the routines yourself.

I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong :wink: ) that LWJGL includes a simple GLUT library coded in Java.
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

Offline Chman

• http://www.shakebox.org
Re: hmmmmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 12:30:34 »
Quote from: "Fool Running"
I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong :wink: ) that LWJGL includes a simple GLUT library coded in Java.

Not GLUT, but GLU :P