Hello Guest

Absolutely noob

• 7 Replies
Absolutely noob
« on: April 11, 2007, 21:30:29 »
hi, I downloaded all files ad tested the test... but now I really don't know what to do  :'(.
I mean, i never wrote a game in java, i found just one elementary tutorial (the space invaders one)
and it doesn't answer me a lot of questions...

1. when i want to try my game, what shuold I do to play it? because I don't understand all the commands in java -cp .;res;jar\lwjgl.jar;jar\lwjgl_test.jar;jar\lwjgl_util.jar;jar\lwjgl_fmod3.jar;jar\lwjgl_devil.jar;jar\jinput.jar;
    -Djava.library.path=native\win32 org.lwjgl.test.WindowCreationTest
so I don't know what to write in the prompt...

2. in the space invaders tutorial it summons lot of things i don't know:setIgnoreRepaint,getBufferStrategy(),etc.

so, I guess I have a LOT to learn before i can use LWJGL, but what I am asking is: what do I have to learn and where can I learn it? ??? 

Re: Absolutely noob
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 23:42:55 »
I have to add that I am not new to java programming, I just never used it for games...
I just graduated in math so, I have some experience (mainly theorical, but also a bit practical) so don't tell me to learn java first  ;D

Offline bobjob

• LWJGL: WOW SO GOOD
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 08:35:04 »
cool :)

people have little variations in there setup. but peronally i use exclipse to manage my programs, you may want to look into it if you havnt already.

ok for your first java lwjgl application, a good place to start is nehe tutorials
http://nehe.gamedev.net/
even though each tutorial is made for c++ there is a code variation for lwjgl.
at the bottom of most lessons is a link to the lwjgl source code that should work the same as the tutorial.
the OpenGl commands are all very similar or the same as the tutoirals.

there is also installation instruction on www.lwjgl.org for how to setup lwjgl with eclipse.
also another great resource is the lwjgl IRC channel, which you can find information about on the site. the guys are a great help and im sure people will be very helpful to get you started

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 08:59:22 »
great.. thanks! :D

Offline kappa

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 09:30:13 »
nehe is a nice place to start but the lwjgl code on those pages is pretty ugly as it has been converted from c++ and it shows, you may find the java code to the nehe tutorials much nicer at http://bloody-blades.de/?page_id=3

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 21:34:07 »
I've had expirience w/ Java in college, but not enough to actually know where the code is for these examples.  From NeHe, all you get is the .jar.  From the other site javalwjgl listed, you get a jnlp file.  Neither of these seem to open in EditPlus (or notepad, I'm assuming).  How do I see the code to these examples to see how they work?

Offline bobjob

• LWJGL: WOW SO GOOD
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 12:41:50 »
i think, if i remember correctly the ".jar" is just a zip, open it with winrar, or you may be able to rename it to ".zip" to get the resources out

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 13:25:31 »
I installed 7-Zip on this computer, and for some reason it never picked up that it was a compressed file.  Thanks!