Problems with the Keyboard class

Started by ryiden, March 19, 2007, 21:35:24

Previous topic - Next topic

ryiden

I want to rotate an object from two different classes when a keyboard event is fired. When the key Keyboard.KEY_R is down, the object should rotate to the left. And when the keys Keyboard.KEY_R and Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL are down, the object should rotate to the right:
if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_R))
{
  rotateLeft();
}

if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL) && Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_R))
{
  rotateRight();
}

Now my problem is, both events are fired on Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL and Keyboard.KEY_R.
I tried the following without any success, because the function getNumKeyboardEvents() is incrementing until infinity:
if (getNumKeyboardEvents() == 1 && Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_R))
{
  rotateLeft();
}

bobjob

in the class containing the rotate function without the left control button add

if (!Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL) && Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_R))

add a "!" in front of  left Control there for leftcontrol cant b down while r is down.

is this wot u ment

Fool Running

Try:
if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL) && Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_R))
{
  rotateRight();
}
else if (Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_R))
{
  rotateLeft();
}

Hope that helps ;D
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

ryiden

It doesnt help, because I access the Keyboard from different objects/classes, for example multiple Rotation objects:
int angle;
int[] keys;

angle = 2
keys = new int[]{Keyboard.KEY_R};
Rotation rotateLeft = new Rotation(angle, keys);

angle  = -2;
keys = new int[]{Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL, Keyboard.KEY_R};
Rotation rotateRight = new Rotation(angle, keys);

This is my current algorithm inside the class Rotation:
boolean hit = true;
for (int index = 0; index < keys.length; index++)
{
  if (!Keyboard.isKeyDown(keys[index]))
  {
    hit = false;
  }
}
if (hit)
{
  System.out.println("do something");
}

With this algorithm both rotations would be fired when Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL and Keyboard.KEY_R has been hit.
I need a member function of the Keyboard class which gives me the exact amount of keys which are currently down, so I can do something like this inside the class:
if (Keyboard.currentNumberOfKeysDown() == keys.length))
{
  boolean hit = true;
  for (int index = 0; index < keys.length; index++)
  {
    if (!Keyboard.isKeyDown(keys[index]))
    {
      hit = false;
    }
  }
  if (hit)
  {
    System.out.println("do something");
  }
}

bobjob

so wot i said didnt work??
First class keycheck
{
  rotateRight();
}

Second class keycheck
if (!Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_LCONTROL) && Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_R))
{
  rotateLeft();
}

only dif is the "!" not symble in the secound class with the control button

ryiden

It didn't work, because the key assignment is not static. The keys will be assigned in the constructor of the class. I can not do
!Keyboard.isKeyDown(Keyboard.KEY_...)
for all the rest of the keys on my keyboard. Look at the code snippets above.
I can check for the given keys which are assigned in the constructor, but I have to be sure that no other key of the keyboard has been pressed.

bobjob

ok ok ok, interesting, dont get y or wot ur doing but 1 way is.. btw is this betalord? cuz he was askn the same question on irc

i dont understand at which key u dont want 2 allow any other key 2 b pressed

but as soon as the key or combo of key is pressed, make an  int = Keyboard.getNumKeyboardEvents();
so that...
button triggered:
int lastKeyState = Keyboard.getNumKeyBoardEvents();
if at any point (Keyboard.getNumKeyBoardEvents() > lastKeyState) then another key has been fired.
dont allow the action from the button trigger 2 take place.
then loop
int lastKeyState = Keyboard.getNumKeyBoardEvents();
if at any point (Keyboard.getNumKeyBoardEvents() > lastKeyState) ....

if u want 2 know specifically which key im not sure how 2 help, if no key is allowed then try that

ryiden

In this case I need an extra class with a static key counter, that could work.