Hello Guest

OpenAL issues on certain sound chips?

• 2 Replies
« on: October 15, 2006, 01:42:13 »
You know, one of these days, I'm just gonna release my game, bugs and all, just to get it done.

Anyway, I'm noticing some openAL issues on certain sound chips. In particular, on my MacBook Pro when it's running Windows XP via BootCamp. OpenAL sound is just terrible. I even tried Cas' AlienFlux, and it had the same issue. The sound system snap, crackles, and pops just like the cereal.  :wink:

Also, it seems to cause some pretty major staggering and slowdown in certain instances. I'd pass this off as a BootCamp bug, but I've had other testers tell me that they've seen it on their hardware as well.

Any ideas what it might be? Is it perhaps that their system doesn't support hardware accelerated sound and is dropping out to use software emulation or something?

Edit: I've tried several other lwjgl based games also (Titan Attacks, Tiltilation) and noticed that while it happens in them too, it's not as pronounced.
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 20:48:16 »
which version of drivers are you using?
there were some updates for Boot Camp as well as device drivers come with it.
if you are not using drivers from latest Boot Camp,
you may want to try that out.

i think there was driver update for audio related issue...

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 02:44:32 »
I'm running off the latest bootcamp drivers (I had just upgraded before testing it actually).

I've been testing on as many systems as I can get my hands on, and honestly, the macbook pro with bootcamp is the only system I've personally found with the issue. I've had others tell me they've experienced it as well, but they didn't give me their hardware information.  :?

Oh well...
=-=-=-=-=-======-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.tommytwisters.com