MS JVM compatibility

Started by polskyman, September 29, 2006, 16:38:45

Previous topic - Next topic

polskyman

Hi everybody,

I would like to know how to make LWJGL compatible with MS JVM.
has someone ever managed to do it ?
thank you to help me on this concern of compatibility.

Matzon

you can't. MS VM is Java 1.1.4, we require 1.4 at least

polskyman

Ok but would it be possible to make it compatible with MS JVM ?
thanks

Fool Running

Its not worth going all the way back to Java v1.1 if its possible at all (I don't know if it does JNI at all or not).
I wouldn't hold my breath for MS JVM support because I don't think it will ever come. :D
Its almost like trying to get new programs to run on Windows 3.1  :lol:
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

polskyman

You should know a lot of person use MS java because they have windows NT.
being compatible with MS JVM is important and yes it support native JNI

wolf_m

But who would ever play games on an old Windows NT 4.0? It's just not the OS for games. That's like especially supporting Windows Server 2003 - there's no point to it.

Windows XP is an NT family member. So... Why support old versions?

Besides, supporting Microsofts very weird behavior considering Java 'back in the days' is weird itself. Remember the lawsuits?

QuoteYou should know a lot of person use MS java because they have windows NT.
Not for OpenGL games, I suppose. And it's only common in business contexts. The outdated ones, I have to say.
being compatible with MS JVM is important
I don't want to start a flamewar, but that's totally wrong. The MS JVM is something that hopefully dies soon.

darkprophet

errr, JNI is 1.4+, the MS JVM cannot do JNI...

DP

aldacron

Quote from: "darkprophet"errr, JNI is 1.4+, the MS JVM cannot do JNI...

Not so. JNI has been around since the beginning, though I don't think it was actually referred to as JNI until Java 1.1. I've got an old book by Laura Lemay that was published before Java 1.1 was released and it talks about "native methods". A 1.2 book I have talks about new capabilities in that version of the JNI. So it's been around a while.

The MS VM, as I recall, supports an alternative MS-specific native call interface. I can't remember what it is called or any of the details about it, but I believe it was supported in addition to the JNI. It's been a long while since I worked with 1.1 or the MS VM.

@polskyman - supporting the MS VM is fruitless today. You would be really limiting yourself to a very small number of users, limiting what you can do technologically, and getting little return for the effort. It's not worth it.

the2bears

Quote from: "polskyman"You should know a lot of person use MS java because they have windows NT.
being compatible with MS JVM is important and yes it support native JNI

What numbers or statistics do you have to back this up?  I would think that there would be very few people using it.  Less, much less, than 1%?

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog

Matzon

tbh, a fair deal of old installations - win9x, me, nt, xp all use the ms jvm 1.1.4. I dont have any numbers but I do know its high enough that we have to keep our casual games working in an 1.1.4 environment. That said, LWJGL cannot be made to work on ms jvm, because of the lack of NIO.

oNyx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_Native_Interface#Microsoft.27s_RNI

So totally not worth it. It would be like starting again with the very first alpha.

Well, lwjgl is opensource... so you could gather a handfull of people and some years later you have something sorta nice.

Alternatively you can either rely on 1.4+ being installed, bundle the jre, embedd the jre or compile it natively (jet/gcj).

polskyman

the problem is that in business a lot of people have the MS JVM.
that is true. and maybe 20 % of java PC have the MS JVM.
it would be so good if LWJGL had this option because I do not understand the aboslute need of java NIO for LWJGL ...
where can I find the source code of LWJGL ?
thanks

wolf_m

You can find the source at SourceForge's SVN repo.

You really want to convert stuff? You're scary ;)

Evil-Devil

As i allready said in ICQ. Don't rely on M$ JVM. Use Sun's instead. You would reach far more ppl when not relying on M$ JVM.

polskyman

I need this to be compatible to MS JVM in addition to Sun.
I offer 1000 € to the person making this conversion.
anyone interested contact me.