XCode and Mac OS X...

Started by nevermind, August 05, 2006, 23:40:24

Previous topic - Next topic

nevermind

Hi all,

I've been very excited about obtaining lwjgl and writing games of my own using it. The library seems to be a real dream for me.

However I've encountered lots of problems while trying to integrate lwjgl with XCode on my PPC Mac. I've never thought this could be so hard and I certainly am in the edge of hanging myself if I don't get it working soon...

So far I've made this:
- Downloaded the package and unzipped it
- Created an XCode project from the template "Java tool" and named it DisplayTest
- Copypasted the code of DisplayTest.java from lwjgl.com demos-section to my project
- Added every .jar file from the unzipped /lwjgl-1.0beta2/jar directory as well as the library files from /lwjgl-1.0beta2/native/macosx directory to the "Targets -> Link binary with libraries" section of my project
- Hit the Build & Run button

What happened:
- Building succeeded
- But when I ran the program, such a nice "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: DisplayTest" message was thrown

I've also tried many other examples and demos but always the IDE made some excuses to bitch about.

I admit I'm not the sharpest pen of the box, but I'm very desperate in wanting to get it work properly. I wish I was still in the year 1996 when game programming was a lot easier and fun, no needing to waste time in stupid IDE:s and strange bugs. Somehow things have since gotten worse and too hard for me to handle them.

darkprophet

Im a windows/linux user, so I haven't used XCode before. But that message looks like XCode is not setting the classpath correctly...

Maybe you can try eclipse, thats the same IDE on both mac, linux and windows? http://www.eclipse.org

Sorry i couldnt be much help...

DP

miu

LWJGL works fine for me on the Mac in Eclipse. It's a matter of setting up classpath and java.library.path for binaries which is a prerequisite for running LWJGL.

I believe the same can be done for XCode, however I'd also suggest a cross-platform IDE like Eclipse or NetBeans for Java development. I played with XCode a bit, they have some Apple-enhanced Java project templates but for "pure" Java I prefer to stick with the "mainstream".

I'd say a good IDE helps a lot in development, I don't think I'd want to go back to the old days. There's obviously some learning curve (always frustrating, I know), but you'll reap the benefits later.

Sardtok

I thought that back in 1996 there were some pretty fancy IDEs around...
Visual Studio on windows was version 4 or 5, and it's on version 8 now.
CodeWarrior on the mac was probably already around.
And emacs has been around for ages, on just about every platform.

I like IDEs, but I'll admit, a simple text editor with highlighting capabilities is good enough for most things.
But highlighting and line numbers should be implemented.
igg -- Take me off for great justice?