Intense flicker and no antialiasing on primitives

Started by irongiant, June 04, 2007, 18:09:44

Previous topic - Next topic

irongiant

I've read some posts about double buffering and know, now, that LWJGL uses it by default.
Now, the problem is my application has an intense flickering; i don't call Display.swapBuffers() and i've seen code running smoothly without this call. Is it really needed to swap the buffers.
I turned on vsync and the flicker disappeared after one, two seconds.
Also, i enabled smooth on polygons, lines and points to get antialiasing but without any results.
I could use some help...

Thank you for your time.

Fool Running

QuoteIs it really needed to swap the buffers.
I'm pretty sure that you need to call this if you are using double buffering.
QuoteAlso, i enabled smooth on polygons, lines and points to get antialiasing but without any results.
Not very many graphics cards support this anymore. The best way to get antialaising is to use supersampling by passing a value greater than 1 (I think) of samples to the PixelFormat of the Display.create().
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D

irongiant

I'll see what i can do about the buffers. BTW, the buffers should be swapped at the end of the loop or at the begining? I swap them at the begining of the loop but sometimes i still can see some flickering...
About the antiliasing: i tried and enabled smooth some days ago and it worked fine, although i was using a 2D projection. Maybe that's the problem. I'll search and learn about supersampling, etc to get it working.
I realized the graphics card's driver aren't well installed; that may be a problem  :-[

Thanks for the help!

Fool Running

QuoteBTW, the buffers should be swapped at the end of the loop or at the begining?
Sorry, it looks like Display.update() does the swapping correctly, so as long as you call Display.update() it should work ;D. It doesn't matter when you call Display.update() (other than not in the middle of your rendering ;) )
Programmers will, one day, rule the world... and the world won't notice until its too late.Just testing the marquee option ;D