Vista performance disaster

Started by blue_tomato, July 14, 2006, 05:19:39

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_tomato

With the lack of direct hardware support for OpenGL in Vista, it seems like we will see a big performance penalty when using OpenGL instead of Direct 3D on MS' new operating system.

Will LWJGL look like a beggar on Vista, and will we all need to turn to DX to get performance on the same level as other games?

Matzon

no - you just need to wait for drivers to come out for your graphics card that is vista "ready". They changed the driver model completely, so a fair deal of work is needed.

blue_tomato

Quote from: "Matzon"no - you just need to wait for drivers to come out for your graphics card that is vista "ready". They changed the driver model completely, so a fair deal of work is needed.
Yes, that's what I thought too, but it turns out the new driver model hardly allows this in Vista at all. The OS claims full ownership of the underlying hardware it seems, and all OpenGL forums talking about this seem to be quite pessimistic.

I would love to be wrong about this though...

aldacron

This issue was resolved some time ago. Read this entry from the blog of one of the Avalon team members. Of particular interest is item #3 in his list.

blue_tomato

Quote from: "aldacron"This issue was resolved some time ago. Read this entry from the blog of one of the Avalon team members. Of particular interest is item #3 in his list.

That's nice to see. Anyone tried LWJGL in Vista so far then? How does it look?

darkprophet

Like mazon said, no OpenGL drivers available yet...So LWJGL doesn't work

DP

blue_tomato

Quote from: "darkprophet"Like mazon said, no OpenGL drivers available yet...So LWJGL doesn't work

DP

Are you sure, I thought a default opengl driver is included, like in winxp... but slow as it is going through dx 3D

elias

NVIDIA has opengl drivers for vista. Tribal Trouble runs fine with those.

- elias