glMultiDrawElements not active, why?

Started by indiana, June 15, 2004, 11:25:00

Previous topic - Next topic

indiana

Hi,

I just wanted to use GL1.4s glMultiDrawElements and saw that it's commented out in the current cvs source. Why is that? I need it...  :wink:

No seriously is there a problem with it?

:arrow: Oh, and by the way, I really want to gratulate you guys, LWJGL is a wonderful piece of software, much better than JOGL which I used for some time!! I hope you don't stop extending and refining it :D

Greets,
Thomas

elias

It went out in the process of removing ineffective OpenGL functions (from a java perspective). If you disallow buffer pointers (as we do), glMultiDrawElements is not faster than a for loop and multiple glDrawElements.

- elias

indiana

Ok thats fine for me, since I'm already using a loop...

LastBoyScout

Hi,

I stumbled across the "missing" glMultiDrawElement as well.

I am rendering a 1000x1000 grid and I have the vertices in an VBO and the indices too. Now if I want to use glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP,...) I have to call it a 1000 times for every "line" of the grid.

Wouldn't a glMultiDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP,countbuffer,GL_UNSIGNED_INT,vbooffsetbuffer) be faster?

Or maybe I just should render the grid in one TRIANGLE_STRIP with a "wrong" triangle on each new line? Or just forget about TRIANGLE_STRIP and use TRIANGLES?

thx
LastBoyScout